• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Will an infected tooth root cause the tooth to break apart?

Hoppi

Hoppi

Basically I have an infected and dead molar tooth that keeps abscessing but I can quite comfortably kill off the abscesses with garlic I think. But am I right in saying that even if I managed to 100% kill off all infection there, I couldn't treat the dead and infected root and it would eventually cause the tooth to fall apart?

I even tried to use warm tea bags and oil pulling to draw out the infection so I could kill it all, but I have no idea if they work. The garlic does seem to work well though.

Anyway, this is my predicament and I wondered what people thought.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sadly, if a tooth is infected, it needs treatment. Infections are inside of the tooth and the abscess is just a consequence of it and your body trying to deal with it. Not a dentist and I know it wasn't your question, but garlic sounds rather harmful for your mouth and oil pulling and tea bags rather not very useful. I couldn't imagine how any of it would be able to get rid of the infection. The tooth needs to get cleaned and filled from the inside (root canal treatment). Again, I know this wasn't your question, but I think things are a bit more complex and not very good without the needed treatment. :(

Hoppi

Hoppi

It was a small miracle that the garlic actually worked. I really wasn't expecting it. In fact, the only reason I hadn't taken the antibiotics already this time around was that I had had a bit of alcohol and had decided to wait 24 hours before touching the metronidazole. And I'm really glad I did because it gave me time to see that the abscess was disappearing "by itself".

Yeah I don't know how much it harms the gumline. Maybe. I found out about it on a website called Earth Clinic.

My plan was to attempt to stabilise it with the garlic and then... I dunno. Have a think. If I think I can draw the infection out with home remedies (it sounds a bit crazy) then I'll give it a go. If not and if the infection inside it will make the tooth break apart then yeah I guess I'm spending £800 on a frickin' private root canal because I have a blocked canal in the tooth. Great ._.

Tricky situation for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoppi

Hoppi

Hm, maybe I should take action yeah. I do seem to have some ability to kill the infection immediately around the tooth, but I am noticing it slightly spreading anyway and it seems scary how much they are capable of spreading if you don't treat them properly.

So... it's great how much natural remedies appear to work for me and I do consider that a really cool small victory, but this is too risky to mess with so I need to either spend the £800 or get it extracted but I don't want to take chances by spending any more time procrastinating or experimenting. Sometimes there is just no time for all that!

Sorry for my somewhat eccentric nature when it comes to these things!

Anywho... I'll keep you guys posted :)