• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will I ever get used to this flipper and how do I eat with it?

S

sharon

I had an extraction on tooth #10 3 days ago and so far so good. No major problems except this flipper is driving me crazy. I've never had one before so I'm not 100% sure if what I'm feeling is normal.

Eating is almost impossible. It's in the way. I can't chew properly, my bottom teeth hit the part on my palatte as I am chewing and therefore the back teeth never make enough contact to thoroughly chew. Is this how it is supposed to be? I'm afraid I'll choke to death. Taking it out during the day is not an option. I will not let my co-workers see me without a tooth. I haven't tried eating without it when alone but it seems it would be a very clumsy way of eating.

In general it feels very uncomfortable, slightly tight, talking is sometimes difficult. I don't know how I will make it through the next 8 months without some serious weight loss going on (and I only weight 110 now) because I can't eat properly. My usual lunch time salad of cruchy stuff like carrots, celery, nuts, etc is out. I seem to be resigned to eating oatmal for breakfast (one of my least favorite foods).

And I worry about the flipper breaking. Are they easy to break?

Any advice?

Hi Sharon -- I'm in month 11 of a front upper tooth extraction/implant process, and I still have a temp flipper. I have had my implant surgery but am waiting until next calendar year to pay for the crown (so expensive!!)...so I still wear my flipper. You didn't clarify if you're wearing a flipper until you have an implant or if your flipper is a permanent solution?

If your long term solution is flipper, I'd recommend saving up for a bridge or an implant..some people tolerate partials really well. Me, no way. It's amazing that we're in 2016 and still, the only options to replace a front tooth are an obscenely expensive implant process, a somewhat more affordable (except not really) bridge that will require unnecessary work on the adjacent teeth on both sides or a plastic hunk in your mouth all day feeling like ... a hunk of plastic in your mouth.

Last edited:
Hi Deck and thank you for your response. You're in month 11, wow, that's an accomplishment. Does it ever get better?

Mine is temporary. Once the bone graft hopefully heals I'll be having implant surgery and then in another 4 months if all goes well the implant will be complete and I can look forward to spending more money on the permanant tooth. You are right, it is terribly expensive. I plan to hold off on the implant surgergy until after April 1 because of insurance. I also need 3 other crowns replaced real soon, those can't wait too much longer as there is decay under them.

I may hold off until 2017 for the final crown (actually 2 of them because I am having another implant done also). I never thought of this as an option until I read what you wrote below so I thank you for that little "hint." I thought I had to go right from final implant appointment to brand new tooth.

Thx, Sharon

Sharon - the temp partial is awful. I've named it after that annoying dog the neighbors allow to howl at the moon all night because I hate it so much (the flipper, not the annoying dog...I really do love animals but if I can't sleep, how are they sleeping thru that???). I'm sorry...I never got used to my flipper and still despise it. I have so much sympathy for people I wear it, of course, but if this was a back tooth, I wouldn't be torturing myself with the partial. I eat in corner booths of restaurants facing a wall, or I eat in my car at lunch or I eat at home/with family only as I can't wear it and eat...if I tried, the food gets stuck between the plate and my palate. I honestly don't know how anyone copes with wearing a partial long term....I know not everyone can afford implants but for a front tooth, I can't imagine not having an implant. I never, ever wear the thing at home...ever. If someone shows up unexpected, I always panic to put it in...I've forgotten to put it in several times and gone to the store only to realize, to my horror, that I forgot I wasn't wearing it and was TALKING to people. It's like one of those nightmares when you find yourself speaking to a group and then realize you're naked!!

I worry about breaking my too expensive flipper, too(even the flippers are incredibly priced!!) -- I always, always put my flipper right into it's hard shelled case or into the cleaning solution, and I never leave it on a counter ....I never want to have to pay more for that flipper if I can avoid it. I swear, when I have my perm crown, I'm going to burn that thing. Burn it I say!!

So my extraction was last Dec incl. bone graft at time of extract. 4 months later, I had my implant surgery (IV sedation is frigging awesome...I have zero memory of any of it). Implant is fully healed now but if I wait another 6 weeks to Jan 1, my insurance will kick in about $800 towards my crown. So I'm torturing myself with the flipper for just a few weeks longer.

I have read that others have had temp crowns installed immediately on implants - had my situation been textbook, I would have a temp crown on now and would have for a few months. Still, I've read and was advised that you shouldn't put any chewing pressure on the implant site for a few months so that it can heal and "fuse" with your jawbone....you might consult with your dentist and find out if they can give you a temp crown and if there are any special instructions with chewing/brushing with a temp for a few months. That way, you can have your implant surgery and two crowns done in 2017, have a temp crown on #10 after implant is done, and the wait until your benefits renew in 2018 to put a perm crown/abutment on#10 implant. Just a suggestion...it may save you a bit to wait...my insurance wouldn't pay for the implant, because, don't you know it's just frivolous to have a front tooth that doesn't pop in and out. But they'll pay for a portion of the crown. Because crazy insurance. Anyway...

I swear, some evil person designed partials....I still do this day can't wait to get home and fling that thing carefully out of my mouth into the bubbly rinse and then straight from the rinse into the case. Sometimes it's so annoying that it's all I can think about. Other days, I've worn it all day and was fully aware of having a foreign object in my mouth but it didn't give me any grief. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a torture movie....Hostel 4: The Temporary Flipper. Tagline : You think you hate it now, wait until it's in your mouth!!!

I had a flipper on a front tooth years ago too, and while I had originally wanted it to be a permanent solution, I eventually had to get an expensive implant instead. Like Sharon, I never wore it at home, and if I had to eat while I was out, I simply couldn't do so with the flipper in my mouth, so would take it out (behind my hand, of course) and put it in my purse until the meal was over. I was very careful not to let anyone see the gap during the meal, and then would slip it back in my mouth afterward.

Good luck with the rest of your dental issues!

Deck - only 6 more weeks for you, yeah, you are almost there. Won't it be wonderful to throw that hunk of plastic out? You summed up very well what it's like to live with this hunk of plastic. I fear leaving for work in the morning and forgetting to put it in my mouth. Now that my gum is healing it is getting a bit more comfortable as it isn't digging into the gum anymore or maybe I've developed calluses on my gum, who knows. But eating is as difficult as ever, and like you, food gets inbetween the roof of my mouth and the blasted flipper, and then it feels like the food will push it right out of place. I've been out of work all week so I've managed this okay. I'm not sure how I'll do when I go back tomorrow. Taking it out when I eat is not an option, too many people around.

I'm 2 weeks into the implant process (upper) and bone grafting. I've just been able to put the flipper on and it hurts like crazy! It doesn't even feel like it fits. I have to have the other side of my mouth done and am considering not getting the stupid (and expensive) flipper made for that side. I just won't smile for a year.

Hey NJM -- It shouldn't hurt to wear your flipper. Practically everyone needs adjustments on the flipper -- see your Dentist for this. It will cost nothing and they should expect you would need some adjusting. I'd hate to see you not smile for a year:(

Also, when you have the other side done, do you mean the same jaw (like, are these all upper teeth they're extracting)? If yes, then you would just add teeth to your existing flipper...you won't pay for an entirely new appliance, but your Dentist will bill you and your Insurance for the "repair" -- my added tooth cost $260 of which the insurance paid 50%(better than nothing!).

I know flippers are expensive and I feel terrible for people who can't afford the flippers, but you're right. We shouldn't be judged based on our teeth.

Also, ladies, an update: I go in next week to have my impressions done an two weeks later, I get my abutment and FINAL CROWN!!! It will immediately gut my insurance benefits for the year, but it was well worth the wait (the insurance is paying a bit MORE than I anticipated so that's awesome!!!). I should have a burning flipper party but I'm going to keep it...just in case.:giggle:

Feeling so frustrated with 4 teeth flipper. I have so long to go and this last 24 hrs has been torture. Does it get easier lol?

Hey Lola - I started this post 6 months ago and I am happy to say things have gotten better. The flipper is no longer uncomfortable as it once was. It did hurt at first but once my gum healed the pain went away. I still talk funny though, kind of like a lisp but different/worse. And I was able to eat okay for a while, but then the root of of molars cracked and I ended up having that tooth extracted, so now it's hard to chew properly (though not because of the original flipper). All in all, things are going okay with the tooth/flipper. I had the implant put in last month so in another few months and I'll have the final crown put in, yeah!!! My big fear is that I will leave the house some day and forget to put my flipper in.:redface:

Deck - only 6 more weeks for you, yeah, you are almost there. Won't it be wonderful to throw that hunk of plastic out? You summed up very well what it's like to live with this hunk of plastic. I fear leaving for work in the morning and forgetting to put it in my mouth. Now that my gum is healing it is getting a bit more comfortable as it isn't digging into the gum anymore or maybe I've developed calluses on my gum, who knows. But eating is as difficult as ever, and like you, food gets inbetween the roof of my mouth and the blasted flipper, and then it feels like the food will push it right out of place. I've been out of work all week so I've managed this okay. I'm not sure how I'll do when I go back tomorrow. Taking it out when I eat is not an option, too many people around.

Hi Sharon, I lost my two front teeth(long story) and a flipper is my only option.HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.I talk like I'm drunk.I slobber.The thing constantly triggers my salivary glands.I tried biting into a sandwich and the pain of the top of my flipper teeth digging into my gums almost made me jump out of my skin!Eating without them is much easier!I was thinking maybe that goop for full dentures might help?I too have left my teeth behind and gone on my merry way.UGH!Costs a lot in gas beating back to my place to shove this horrid contraption in my mouth. Anyway thnx for the positive(gums getting harder may help).This is my worst nightmare come true.Im single and may stay that way.....imagine kissing with this thing in?Sigh......:scared:All the best GF!

I had a bone graft and implant for #7 and am struggling with this flipper. My surgery was one week ago and I couldn't even put the flipper in for four days. I now put it in in the morning, but by afternoon it hurts so much, I take it out and put it in water. We went out on two evenings and I salivated so badly, I thought it would fall right out! I did find out that drying it really thoroughly before inserting is much better. About the only thing I've eaten with it in is soup or oatmeal.

I'm a tour director and have a bus tour coming up on March 9th where I'll need to speak on a microphone in front of 30 passengers. In addition, we'll be eating dinner at a wonderful restaurant. Thank goodness I ordered crab cakes! My dentist office says each day gets better. So glad I found this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had tooth #11 extracted 3 days ago. I was anxious, embarrassed and worried about how I was going to adjust with wearing a flipper. Keep in mind I have not seen my primary dentist for any adjustments yet (making that appointment as soon as their office opens). I just can’t believe that in 2018 this massive, hard piece of plastic is the only option.

Eating is impossible. Speaking is almost as impossible. I don’t know what’s worse and more noticeable...being toothless or speaking like there’s something wrong with you.

Needless to say, 6 months can’t get here fast enough. I was going to wait until new insurance kicked in in 2019, but now I don’t think that’s an option.

How should a flipper fit?

Flippers are a popular option to temporarily replace a missing tooth or two. They are made out of a plastic which the dentist can easily adjust by adding or subtracting. They allow you you to eat and drink. They do NOT allow you you to bite off food with them. If you bit with the tooth on the flipper it will rotate down in the back.
So how should it feel?
It should fit and be slightly snug. If too loose the dentist can add a little acrylic to help it engage into the undercuts of your other teeth. You may also use a little denture adhesive.
When you bite down all of your teeth should touch. Usually the dentist has to adjust off a little of the plastic until your teeth touch.
After wearing it you may get a sore spot from excessive pressure so you call the office(surgery) and get in for a brief adjustment. It may take a few appointments. be sure and go in when it is sore. It is a mistake to have a sore spot and then not wear it for three days and then go in. Mouths heals fast and the dentist won't know where the pressure is.

Other temporary options include an Essix retainer. This is a pressured clear plastic that holds in a replacement tooth. It goes over all the teeth. Nice in that nothing is on the palate BUT you can't eat or drink anything but plain water. I call them party teeth as they are only good for social and not function. They can made in the office quickly.

i had two front teeth removed and a flipper installed 1 week ago today. I have no issues with pain, appearance, speech or discomfort, They fit perfectly . My only complaint is that food lost some of its taste. I guess some taste buds are covered by the base of the teeth

How should a flipper fit?

Flippers are a popular option to temporarily replace a missing tooth or two. They are made out of a plastic which the dentist can easily adjust by adding or subtracting. They allow you you to eat and drink. They do NOT allow you you to bite off food with them. If you bit with the tooth on the flipper it will rotate down in the back.
So how should it feel?
It should fit and be slightly snug. If too loose the dentist can add a little acrylic to help it engage into the undercuts of your other teeth. You may also use a little denture adhesive.
When you bite down all of your teeth should touch. Usually the dentist has to adjust off a little of the plastic until your teeth touch.
After wearing it you may get a sore spot from excessive pressure so you call the office(surgery) and get in for a brief adjustment. It may take a few appointments. be sure and go in when it is sore. It is a mistake to have a sore spot and then not wear it for three days and then go in. Mouths heals fast and the dentist won't know where the pressure is.

Other temporary options include an Essix retainer. This is a pressured clear plastic that holds in a replacement tooth. It goes over all the teeth. Nice in that nothing is on the palate BUT you can't eat or drink anything but plain water. I call them party teeth as they are only good for social and not function. They can made in the office quickly.

This is very helpful! I have been looking for information about what to expect when I get my flipper for my front tooth. I am terrified that it will affect my speech, and about excessive saliva. It is reassuring to know it can easily be adjusted.

I did a search for this topic and found this excellent forum and discussion. I had my #9 (top front left) extracted three days ago and am wearing a flipper until the implant and final cosmetic work, which resumes in three months. I walked out of the extraction appointment with the flipper and it felt fine. That night I was even wondering, "Do I have to take this out at night when I go to sleep?"

But I ended up taking it out, which was a struggle, especially with all the bleeding from the extraction that occurred nine hours prior. It was such a struggle to remove it that I scheduled an appointment to have it looked at and adjusted. (Two different doctors are involved here... one is the oral surgeon who did the extraction, and the other is the dentist who supplied the flipper.) This appointment was just to make sure it was fitting correctly, as well as to get some pointers on removing it.

Since that appointment, it's easier to insert and remove, but I can hardly bear to wear it. I wouldn't say that it hurts. It's just hard to forget about it and go about my day. I'm constantly trying to get comfortable. I don't know if it's something that I'll get used to or if it needs another adjustment.

I did a search for this topic and found this excellent forum and discussion. I had my #9 (top front left) extracted three days ago and am wearing a flipper until the implant and final cosmetic work, which resumes in three months. I walked out of the extraction appointment with the flipper and it felt fine. That night I was even wondering, "Do I have to take this out at night when I go to sleep?"

But I ended up taking it out, which was a struggle, especially with all the bleeding from the extraction that occurred nine hours prior. It was such a struggle to remove it that I scheduled an appointment to have it looked at and adjusted. (Two different doctors are involved here... one is the oral surgeon who did the extraction, and the other is the dentist who supplied the flipper.) This appointment was just to make sure it was fitting correctly, as well as to get some pointers on removing it.

Since that appointment, it's easier to insert and remove, but I can hardly bear to wear it. I wouldn't say that it hurts. It's just hard to forget about it and go about my day. I'm constantly trying to get comfortable. I don't know if it's something that I'll get used to or if it needs another adjustment.

I ended up having to have mine adjusted many times in the first two weeks, and then again later. As the swelling goes down, the fit changes. The first week I was in the dentist office three times.
My oral surgeon had told me to wear it for 48 hours straight, not taking it out at night, then take it out and rinse it, and then leave it out at night after that. It was extremely hard to get out and back in the first time. It does get easier. I ended up wearing mine for six months instead of four, due to COVID-19, which delayed my crown seating.

@sharon I started googling how people deal with a flipper as I’m about to get one and I’m freaking out. I went for a 2nd opinion at another dentist and got same recommendation, that it’s best to get an implant. When they mentioned flipper in my dentist office and again at the 2nd dentist I didn’t know what that was. When I found out I freaked. I honestly don’t think I can do it. The only up side is that it may make me lose some weight - not being able to eat properly. But seriously I don’t think I can do it from reading your and the rest of the posts on here. 8 months is like being pregnant with a child! Maybe if it was 3 months max. I am going to call my dentist and ask if they can do a second root canal on this front tooth that currently has a post and a crown (has lasted over 30 yrs.) They said they can’t guarantee a it will last and I may end up needing the implant anyways but I just can’t. I will take my chances and pray. Hopefully it last at least 3-5 years. I already paid to get my flipper made!

Back