• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will I say something inappropriate or offensive?

• Thread starter NervousNelly123
  • Start date
N

NervousNelly123

Hi all- I'm new here and I have known for years that I was going to need my two top wisdom teeth out. It's finally time! They are fully in but don't cause any pain or crowding. They are starting to develop cavities so my dentist just wants to take them out. I've been referred to an oral surgeon b/c I'm grossed out by the thought of the pulling and noises. My issue isn't with the pain or the needles- it's with the loss of control during the IV sedation. I'm so nervous that as I'm under sedation or coming out of sedation I'm going to say something inappropriate or offensive to the doctor, assistant, whomever. I think it probably stems from watching the YouTube video of the girl talking about unicorns and blueberries as she woke up! Does everyone act like that?

Did anyone here say anything they shouldn't have? I just don't want to embarrass myself or hurt someone's feelings. I know they've probably 'seen it all' but that isn't helping! What does it feel like coming out of the sedation? Will I be completely out of it? Thank you in advance for any advice, stories or support! :-*

Amy

hello amy - well when i came out of my IV sedation, my husband tell sme how much i was thanking the oral surgeon, the nurse, and just about anyone who wanted to hear how it was NOT painful, how they didnt hurt me, how it doesnt feel odd ... haha i kissed the mans cheek and also his nurse and then just went quiet once i got that lot out ! you feel a little like you want to sleep, yet want to also speak and say how good it was - especially afgter the awful panics and crying fits before you get yourself there in that chair ! it really is the BEST thing to have ... i promise you. i got 2 teeth extracted under sedation, the worst of all of it was waiting for the appointment to get the IV. you will be fine !!! xx:grouphug:

Hi Amy! First..don't worry about it! Trust me..those dentists and nurses have heard it all and think nothing of it. Some people talk..some don't. My Mother ALWAYS asks for Michael (my husband) as she's waking up..she always says she needs to tell him something. Since he's never there..we've yet to figure out what she wants to tell him. :giggle:
When I had IV sedation I don't think I said anything at all. I remember hearing someone saying my name and I opened my eyes to find my husband standing there looking at me saying "Smile!". I smiled..then pretty much went back to sleep until I got all the way home. Don't remember getting in his truck..or the 18 mile ride home. Don't even remember walking into the house..which he says I did under my own power.
IV sedation is THE BEST.......

Thank you so much, ladies... The appointment is now set for next Friday. Yikes! Wish me luck! :)

I ask my Mom if I said anything in the recovery room (she was there with my husband) and she said no..I just smiled at everybody. LOL!

Good luck next Friday! You'll do great! :)

I also didn't say anything out of the ordinary. I remember after they woke me, thinking, wow I just had 3 hours of oral surgery and I really don't feel too bad. The nurse walked me to the bathroom and stayed outside the door just in case I needed her. Then she walked me back to where I was recovering and covered me with a blanket.
If I ever need any major dental work, I wouldn't hesitate to use IV sedation again!
Good luck for next Friday, you'll do just fine.
:hug2:

I've just had IV sedation for the 4th time (god that sounds awful but it has been over the span of a few years!) and each time I've not done anything majorly stupid or embarrassing - my partner tells me I'm generally quite polite and even thanked the staff afterwards!

I felt a bit sleepy on and off during the day but after a nap when I got home was pretty much okay to be honest. On one occasion I had to stay a little longer as I have low blood pressure and I got up too quickly and almost passed out, but the staff were great and it wasn't a major issue. I dunno where I'd be without sedation!

nelly - good luck for friday !!!!!!!!! you will do brilliantly well i am sure ! hugs to you xx michelle

icklenymph ... 4 times sedated ... was each time the same as the previous? i really need to go back to the dentist, had iv sedation 6 months ago to get two rotten abcessed teeth extracted, and right now i am scared stiff as my upper back tooth has a hole in and i am afraid it needs to be pulled. its not agony yet so thats a god send, but i dont want to wait until i have another abcess ! also my lower wisdom tooth needs to come out, i want iv sedation again, not sure why i am nervous about going to the dentist to ask for it as i did it recently ... i guess i am scared the dentist will refuse to have me sedated again and want to do the work with me aware and with local :scared:
there is no way thats happening !!!
was each of your sedations equally effective? with my last one i knew nothing from when the IV went in, to when it was all over and i was going home !!! i dont want to hear, feel or see anything !! xx

Hi michiemoo,

The first two sedations I had were a few years ago and done at a clinic which no longer offers IV sedation. I don't recall a thing about the procedures though I was sick the second time from the anaesthetic - I generally don't react well to it (I was as sick as a pig when I had a tonsilectomy 8 years ago and got to have a drip put in me - yay) and both times I got an infection and had to go back to my original dentist for antibiotics....maybe thats why they don't do it there anymore who knows!

However the two I just had - in September and earlier this week have been at a different clinic and have been fantastic and again don't remember a thing from either procedure. I felt a bit queasy back in September but I was expecting it, and on both occasions have been given Amoxicillin so lesser chance of infection this time round! If I have to go through anything like that again I will certainly asked to be sedated.

I'm not sure where you are but if you're in the UK I can't see why you can't be referred for sedation, just be aware it may take a while. I went for a checkup in July and was warned it would take 3-4 months before I'd hear from the clinic...and have to admit regretted leaving it so long making the appointment for the checkup in the first place! But its been worth the wait and I'd rather feel a little iffy afterwards then be awake and aware of whats going on...though everyone is different so each to their own!

:grouphug:thank you for the reply !
i live in kent, the dentist i joined several months ago is fab, i just HATE the dentists with a passion, my phobia is dreadful, this dentist is patient and understanding, it was him who suggested the sedation to me, and it was a top oral surgeon from guys hospital in london that gave me the IV and also extracted the 2 teeth and filled 2 front ones as well.
my worry is, that if i go back to the dentist for my check up, which is now due as its been 6 months since my sedation visit, the dentist will try to coax me into getting treatment without being sedated - there is no way i will even tolerate the sound of a drill unsedated, let alone sit there and be fully aware of injections and teeth getting pulled :scared: fills me with complete dread just the thought of it !
its good to know you have had this procedure 4 times and not been "aware" of any of them .. that gives me hope as i am a little worried that next time i am sedated, they will give me less of the drug in the IV to try and get me used to having dental work done .... i am not sure they can if i am paying for treatment and FULLY requesting that i be out of it. i dont want to see, hear or know anything about what they are doing in my mouth, i know the people who say they have some awareness dont feel pain or fear or panic, but i dont even want to get that chance to expeirence that. i want a few more sedaiton visits to get my teeth completely sorted, then start from scratch having regular dental check ups knowing i wont feel any pain when being cleaned or prodded as all my fillings, extractions etc are done :)
thats my idea ... whether the dentist agree's to that or not is another thing, i think they should as their aim should be stress free successful treatment no matter how its given right?

Well I presume you'll have a history with your dentist and they are aware you are a nervous/phobic patient so if they think you'll need to be sedated then that option should at least be given to you. With my dentist he just told me he was referring me and that was it - and he was new to me as I hadn't been for a couple of years and the last dentist had gone.

I've had a lot of work done over the years - crowns, fillings and a bridge and I somnehow managed to get through all that with just some local anaesthetic though I had a great dentist during that period. Now the one I have isn't making me terribly confident as he seemed a little "off" during my checkup...as if he expected me to have better teeth then what I had. Maybe next time I'll see him it'll be better.

Anyway, went slightly off topic there. I don't know how much they'll use - I know I had the drug Midazolam which keeps you conscious throughout the procedure and you just "forget" that period of time later which doesn't seem possible at the time but I can confirm it really does happen! I just wish it hadn't taken several attempts in both hands to find a vein though - have got obvious matching bruises on the top of my hands which have been more tender then the extractions have been!

Back