• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will It Hurt To Get Temporary Crowns Off

D

desml

I have two temporary crowns (following root canals) and am going next week to have the permanent crowns applied. Will it hurt to have the temporary crowns taken off?

I'm in a panic that it will hurt even though the dentist has told me it won't. I cannot handle a local anesthetic as I am needle phobic. Had to be knocked out with general anesthesia for the work to be done last month. I'm losing a lot of sleep over the thought of the work to be done next week.

No since you have had root canals.

I have two temporary crowns (following root canals) and am going next week to have the permanent crowns applied. Will it hurt to have the temporary crowns taken off?

I'm in a panic that it will hurt even though the dentist has told me it won't. I cannot handle a local anesthetic as I am needle phobic. Had to be knocked out with general anesthesia for the work to be done last month. I'm losing a lot of sleep over the thought of the work to be done next week.

Hi I too due to my needle phobia I had a root canal and then an appointment for crown prep both done under IV sedatio. my fear too was having the temporary crown removed and permanent one fitted as it would not be done under IV. But my dentist said he had never done it under IV in all his years and would not be starting now haha. Honestly he was right and it saved me a few hundred on sedation fees. He used no local (was no need to) as it didn’t hurt. He had made the temp crown for me not too glued on to make it a bit easier to get off but I don’t think even if it was glued more I’d would have been a problem. And the fitting of the new crown was just like stacking Lego as it was described to me and didn’t hurt either. Hope this is reassuring. Hope the appointment goes well and keep us updated.

Does that mean if its not a root canal tooth (ie cracked tooth syndrome tooth) it will hurt?

When I had a temporary crown removed and permanent crown put on (also cracked tooth syndrome tooth), I was numbed up for this and it was completely painless. I believe this is the norm if the tooth hasn’t had root canal treatment.

When I had a temporary crown removed and permanent crown put on (also cracked tooth syndrome tooth), I was numbed up for this and it was completely painless. I believe this is the norm if the tooth hasn’t had root canal treatment.
Oh thank you so much.. i really needed to hear that. May i ask how long they made you wear the temp crown.. and also did they do/suggest crown apon arrival with the symptoms on cracked tooth syndrome.. im currently wearing a metal band around the tooth.. and have been told ill need to wear it around 2 months and at that point i should be able to eat on it with no pain... THEN... he will do the crown ??

2 months sounds like a long wait, that must be difficult for you... I came across an article where it mentions using a band to splint the tooth for 2-4 weeks for diagnosing cracked tooth syndrome: https://www.nature.com/articles/sj.bdj.2010.496

But I haven't got personal experience with a metal band (went straight to crown), so I can't really help with your question ?. I only had the temporary for a couple of weeks while the permanent was being made.

I suspect the thinking behind using the band is that you don't end up wasting money on a crown if the symptoms don't get relieved by splinting the tooth. Presumably, dentists take into account lots of different factors (e.g. where the crack/s may be, how far they might extend, what direction they run in, symptoms etc.) when making a recommendation on how to best proceed? But if you are unsure or you don't have much faith in your dentist, you could get a second opinion.

2 months sounds like a long wait, that must be difficult for you... I came across an article where it mentions using a band to splint the tooth for 2-4 weeks for diagnosing cracked tooth syndrome: https://www.nature.com/articles/sj.bdj.2010.496

But I haven't got personal experience with a metal band (went straight to crown), so I can't really help with your question ?. I only had the temporary for a couple of weeks while the permanent was being made.

I suspect the thinking behind using the band is that you don't end up wasting money on a crown if the symptoms don't get relieved by splinting the tooth. Presumably, dentists take into account lots of different factors (e.g. where the crack/s may be, how far they might extend, what direction they run in, symptoms etc.) when making a recommendation on how to best proceed? But if you are unsure or you don't have much faith in your dentist, you could get a second opinion.
Thank you so much for your reply and the link.

Honestly its been so tough its all i think about (its been 4 months of issues and im so close but feels so far from being ok again)

I trust my dentist however i really dont want to wait so long i keep thinking wouldnt the crown be stronger and id feel more confident to eat on it.. but i also understand the logic.

The sensitivity to temp has gone.. it just still can only handle soft foods atm it seems..

Thank you for the info makes sense about them needing to know how big and what area the crack may be in.

Sorry for another question but can you recall how long it took before you could eat confidently on the new crown? Xx

Mine was a root canal, tooth cracked, the temporary crown the dentist struggled to get out my tooth, it was being very stubborn

Sorry for another question but can you recall how long it took before you could eat confidently on the new crown? Xx

You mean the permanent crown? Immediately (well, after the numbing had worn off). With the temporary, while you can chew on it, you need to be a bit more careful - it's best to avoid really hard or chewy stuff.

Really sorry to hear that you've had such an ordeal but it sounds as if you're nearly on the home straight now ?

I just had two temp crowns removed last week on two root canal treated molars. The dental assistant used forceps to remove them and they came right off. No pain, nothing! No anesthesia was used for removal or the permanent crown application.

You mean the permanent crown? Immediately (well, after the numbing had worn off). With the temporary, while you can chew on it, you need to be a bit more careful - it's best to avoid really hard or chewy stuff.

Really sorry to hear that you've had such an ordeal but it sounds as if you're nearly on the home straight now ?
Thank you so much for your reply.

‘that’s good to know , I fear I will be to scared to eat on it even with the permanent crown on.
‘it’s been 3 weeks withthe metal band on and I still can only handle very soft foods sigh. Anyways thank you so much for support and kind words ❤️

Back