Will root canal tooth ever feel the same?

K

Ktooth

About a year ago, I had three root canals. Two top molars and a bottom molar. The bottom molar ended up having to be extracted because the pain came back even after root canal and retreatment didn’t work. My top left molar feels perfectly fine and hasn’t given me any problems since I had my crown placed, but my top right molar occasionally hurts for days at a time and then seems to just go away. It doesn’t feel like the pain I was in before the root canal, and it’s not sensitive to hot or cold, it just feels really sore almost as if pressing on a bruise. I told my endodontist and she took an X-ray but said everything looked good and suggested that maybe I’m grinding my teeth at night. Even if that’s the case, why would only that one tooth hurt? Could this be normal? Will the tooth ever feel the way it used to again?

S

Scared all the time

About a year ago, I had three root canals. Two top molars and a bottom molar. The bottom molar ended up having to be extracted because the pain came back even after root canal and retreatment didn’t work. My top left molar feels perfectly fine and hasn’t given me any problems since I had my crown placed, but my top right molar occasionally hurts for days at a time and then seems to just go away. It doesn’t feel like the pain I was in before the root canal, and it’s not sensitive to hot or cold, it just feels really sore almost as if pressing on a bruise. I told my endodontist and she took an X-ray but said everything looked good and suggested that maybe I’m grinding my teeth at night. Even if that’s the case, why would only that one tooth hurt? Could this be normal? Will the tooth ever feel the way it used to again?
Im not a dentist, but maybe if your grinding, it’s only hitting the one tooth hard when you grind? Have you tried a night guard?

K

Ktooth

Im not a dentist, but maybe if your grinding, it’s only hitting the one tooth hard when you grind? Have you tried a night guard?
I wear a night guard actually! Which my endodontist also knows. She said something like it’s still possible to clench or grind hard enough with a night guard that you can make your teeth hurt. I just get so freaked out because of all that I’ve already had to go through with my teeth. They were in pain for such a long time and I definitely don’t want to go through another extraction if possible 😕

S

Scared all the time

I wear a night guard actually! Which my endodontist also knows. She said something like it’s still possible to clench or grind hard enough with a night guard that you can make your teeth hurt. I just get so freaked out because of all that I’ve already had to go through with my teeth. They were in pain for such a long time and I definitely don’t want to go through another extraction if possible 😕
Ahh. Yea that’s my fear as well. I’d hate to spend all that money for one and it make things worse.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear a night guard actually! Which my endodontist also knows. She said something like it’s still possible to clench or grind hard enough with a night guard that you can make your teeth hurt.

Did your endodontist offer you any solution to this, for example a different night guard or anything that would solve this?

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

Root canal treatment should not change your sensation as you described them. I am positive about it.
The cause of your complain might not be the root canal treatment but the restoration above it, whether a crown or a filling. Sometimes there are some leftovers of materials we dentists use such as cement or bonding which sits in the gum and mechanically irritate the gum (like having a tiny stone in your shoe).
Did you have a cleaning since? that might do the trick.

K

Ktooth

Hi,

Root canal treatment should not change your sensation as you described them. I am positive about it.
The cause of your complain might not be the root canal treatment but the restoration above it, whether a crown or a filling. Sometimes there are some leftovers of materials we dentists use such as cement or bonding which sits in the gum and mechanically irritate the gum (like having a tiny stone in your shoe).
Did you have a cleaning since? that might do the trick.
That makes sense...thanks! I’m actually having a cleaning tomorrow so I’ll mention the pain to my dentist and see what he recommends. Fingers crossed...