• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will the pain go away? (Dentures Question)

H

happyhousewife

So I'm on the 7th day of wearing immediate new dentures after having my teeth extracted. My extractions do not hurt anymore, but the dentures still do, particularly on the bottom left side. I got them adjusted some and going back for some more adjustments tomorrow, but it just hurts so bad on the bottom left side of my mouth. That was also a huge problem area for me before I got all my teeth extracted. All the teeth were basically broken there.

Will my mouth adjust to the hard plastic? Will things get better? Are there things I can do to sooth my mouth in the mean time?

And can I have encouragement that I will eventually eat again? Because even eating ice cream hurts right now.

Hi happyhousewife,

Immediate complete dentures can be a little unpredictable because the lab has to estimate how the bone/gums will be after the extractions. Therefore, there is always a level of inaccuracy with immediate complete dentures.

I always tell my patients that there will be ALOT of adjustments needed because of this reason. This does require quite a bit of patience and understanding.

Since it has only been 7 days since they extractions, this is completely normal. Even with new complete dentures that are not immediate, it does take time to adjust. A denture is a new foreign object, and it requires time for your brain and muscles to learn how to use it properly.

The best thing to do if it is too sore right at times is to take out the dentures and to let the gums rest. The extraction socket/bone will continue to remodel and heal for up to 3-6 months. It is recommended that you either have a new denture made once they have fully healed, or you can try a denture re-line.

Please don't hesitate to ask anymore questions!

Back