• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom extraction - Dry Socket!

G

Former Member
Ouch!

Any hints on how to handle this little piece of mouth fun? It hurts like !@#$^^*(.

- Shawn
Portland, OR - USA

Oh, no! :cry: I am sorry to hear that.

If you have dry socket I think the best thing you could do now is call your dentist.

Sorry :cry:

-James

OUCH :sick: !

As James said, you will want to see your dentist asap, he can place a soothing medicated dressing in the socket which brings pain relief and he might prescribe a course of antibiotics to relieve the infection.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and hope you'll feel better soon :(

Hello,

I saw my oral surgeon, and he irrigated the extraction site where the dry socket exists. That was a nasty experience! He placed some medication in the hole (it had a numbing effect). Now, I am dealing with this foul stench - like I inherited a swamp in my mouth. I am not experiencing the pain that I was...but my tongue has this a tangy foul flavor taste to it. I've tried mouthrinse. Is there anything extra that I can do at this point? Feel free to chip in.

How long will I be putting up with this ordeal? Does this hinder my recovery in any significant way? On top of recovery in general, this little extra bonus is screwing up my social life. I have to stand 10 feet away just to say hello to someone.

So, any thoughts will help.

Thanks.

- Shawn
Portland, OR - USA

Rinse with Chlorhexidine containing mouthwash will help a bit. It should go away in a day or two at most. It won't hinder your recovery.

Back