• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Extraction Friday and Very Nervous

C

Cheers

Hi there. I am a 42 year old mom and have a bit of a history with anxiety. That being said, my anxiety mostly stems from the weirdest medical crap happening to me and it not being found or understood for long periods.

I have been postponing my wisdom tooth (one, upper) extraction for quite some time. It is not impacted and due to missing molars, I have plenty of room. However, it has a cavity and it is more sensible to remove than to fill. Cheaper too. The cavity does not hurt in the least, but I don't want to wait until it does either.

I have SVT (a heart arrhythmia) so I cannot have epi. He will be doing the extraction with only a local NOT containing epi. I also cannot have nitrous due to a genetic thing. I will take an extra dose of my klonopin (I take a very small dose daily) but I do not see it helping much.

I am a little afraid of pain. But mostly I am afraid of some weird reaction - like having my throat swell or not being able to swallow. Or basically any odd reaction from the anesthetic. I also worry about the aftermath once at home. And I read that without epi - the numbing agent may not work. This would clearly suck.

Everyone keeps acting like I am some huge baby. But they also thought that about my hysterectomy which went badly in 2014. They also thought that when I kept complaining about my heart and they said it was "just anxiety" for TEN years (it was SVT). OR when I had liver injury from a common antibiotic and they kept saying I was just fine. So, people telling me to just calm down does nothing for me.

SO....I am on the verge of cancelling this appointment again. But I really want to be brave enough to go through with this.

Thanks for listening!!

Hi I am similar to you have huge anxieties around my health and just been diagnosed with b12 aneamia and other stuff. I got my upper wisdom tooth out last Friday as it was abscessed. I'm not sure how your anesthetic will work but once your numbed up it will be fine ypull feel a little tugging g sensation as it's bring took out but no pain a all. I scared myself so much beofre i cried in the chair but it was all over in 40 seconds and out. Follow the advice after about salt water cleaning and no smoking etc and you will be fine I am day 6 now and am fine. Good luck and let me know how u are xxxx

Thank you so much!! I know I need to do this. And each time I get through something like this - I feel mentally stronger. So I know it is important in more ways than one.

How long before you were able to eat normal food?

I seen my dentist yesterday and he said i was ok from now so about 5 days. He did say u can't eat normally after 3 if u want and to just make sure you rinse with salt water after xx

One hour to go. Still very afraid. I wish I could be a person who just went through life without such fear. Ugh

Re: Wisdom Extraction Friday and Very Nervous - UPDATE

So I did go through with it. I was so terrified. He was clearly in a hurry and running behind but he tried to be kind and address my fears. He said worrying about dry socket is a waste because it wasn't likely and acted like it wasn't detrimental (clearly he has prob never felt it himself). He numbed me up and I didnt feel a think. Even the needle was barely noticeable. It took like two minutes and it came out whole. I even brought it home for the "tooth fairy" lol. He prescribed tylenol with codeine but I havent filled it. I cant remember if I like codiene or not (I would have picked up hydrocodone because Ive had that and know I dont react badly). I took 600mg of ibuprofen once the numbing started to wear off. I am now (4 hours after taking it) starting to feel some soreness. Hoping it doesn't get much worse and REALLY hoping it doesnt give me a headache.

I will still be nervous about eating (so hungry) and dry socket until I know for sure I am out of the woods. But so far, things seem ok (knocking on wood of course)!!

Hey Cheers! I also had a wisdom tooth removed last Friday.

How are you feeling now? :)

Back