• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth compared to other tooth extractions

S

sammi

I'm having all 4 of my wisdom teeth out tomorrow and I am scared to death. They are doing it just with local anesthetic. The receptionist said there wouldn't be any pain just a lot of pressure. How's the pain of getting your wisdom teeth removed compared to the pain of getting any other tooth pulled? I have had 3 of my severely out of place canines pulled (pretty bad experience) and one molar pulled after it broke after getting a root canal done on it all with just local anesthetic. The canines were the worst and the molar was not so bad. Should I expect this procedure to be similar to getting my molar out?

Also, anyone else want to share their stories about getting them out with just local? Everyone I know has had theirs out under sedation.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled with a local and my dentist was wonderful. One tooth broke during extraction as it was quite decayed. The rest were relatively quick. They did their x-rays so knew what to anticipate. Mine were pulled not four at once, but a pair, and then later two singles at different appointments. Swelling was minimal and no pain through the procedure (though freezing on the top was more sensitive). After the extractions I followed their guidelines for pain management and didn't require any prescription but used just tylenol and advil.

Back