• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Extraction, IV sedation (Ireland)

M

mick

Hi All,

This is my first post here! After reading this forum prior to my wisdom teeth extractions, I thought I should post about my experience.

For the last few years I have known that there was something wrong with my lower wisdom teeth and after my first ever visit to the dentist (at age 27 :o ) my suspicions were confirmed.

On the 17th of July I visited a dentist here in Limerick and the dentist told me that they were horizontally impacted and they needed to come out. The dentist also told me that there was a filling needed in the upper left wisdom tooth, so I decided to have the upper two taken out also, as I found them extremely hard to keep clean. I asked the dentist to find me an oral surgeon who could do the extractions and on the 28th of July I had a consultation with an oral surgeon in Dalkey, Dublin.

The consultation with the oral surgeon put any of the fears that I had about the surgery to rest and explained the whole procedure to me and also the post-op instructions. The extractions were to take place under IV sedation and local anaesthetic. Much more at ease I went to the receptionist to arrange a date for the surgery to take place, I figured the quicker the better!! So I was booked in for the following Monday Evening (31st July). That weekend seemed to go on forever, but gave me plenty of time to read up about wisdom teeth extractions on this forum (thanks :)).

So anyway, I arrived at the surgery five mins before my appointment time on the Monday all set for the procedure, but there was some delays during the day at the surgery and it was another hour before I got to go in and sit in the BIG chair. The nerves started to kick in and the heart started to beat a little quicker, but a few jokes and a bit of a chat with the staff kept me calm.

Finally my name was called by the surgeon and I took one more glance at the only escape route (the front door ) and decided to go in for the surgery. The surgeon showed me the OSG (I think) x-ray and told me that they were four fairly simple extractions and it should be over soon. Before I knew it I was sitting down and the surgeon was looking for a vein in the back of my hand for the IV sedation. The chair was reclined and I was given the first shot in the line. I didn't really notice the effects, but on the second shot the sedations started to kick in. I felt a little dizzy at first but that soon passed and I felt extremely relaxed. I think then a third shot was given to me. Next thing I remember was the series of Local anaesthetic shots that I received in the mouth; I think it was about 8. I could feel each one like a small pinch but nothing uncomfortable. Another period of time passed and I can vaguely remember the two top teeth getting extracted, this was nothing major, no pain or discomfort. Then the fun started on my two lower impacted wisdom teeth. I can only remember certain parts of it though. I remember what seemed to be some sort of cutting tool in my mouth, I could hear it and feel the vibrations but again no pain or discomfort. After that part I remember the actual pulling of the teeth or the remaining sections. I felt a lot of pressure at this point and I was setting myself up for some pain but it never came. The four wisdom teeth were out and there were just a few stitches to be put in for the lower two. After these stitches, I came around very quickly, still feeling very relaxed from the sedation and I was helped walk to the recovery room.

In the recovery room I could not believe how quick the procedure was over (about 35 minutes in total) and how little pain (none at all) I felt through out it. I was able to take my phone from my pocket and send a few celebratory text messages. The surgeon came back into me about 20 minutes later to check up on me and to remove the gauze (seemed like balls of cotton wool) from my mouth. The bleeding had practically stopped and I was safe to go home.

When I arrived home, I watched a few hours of TV while I waited for the feeling in my lower jaw and tongue to come back, it came back in about two hours post surgery. Then I very very very gently rinsed my mouth out with some water and sat down for a few more hours of TV. before heading to bed that night I gave my teeth a very very gentle clean with a baby sized toothbrush and again very gently rinsed with corsodyl mouthwash (as advised by the surgeon). I was fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke early the following morning to find a small amount of blood on the pillow, I thought this would happen. I went and washed my teeth again and rinsed again with corsodyl. I inspected my face for any signs of swelling and to my surprise there practically was none, neither was there any pain. I spent the day chilling out, taking two nurofen every four hours plus the antibiotics, still no sign of any pain or swelling. I was even able to eat that day. My diet consisted of the normal post extraction soft foods: porridge, yogurts, soup, mashed potatoes and so on.

Here I am six days on and I still have not had any major pain, except for my front lower teeth which ache every couple of hours. I guess without the pressure of the impacted wisdom teeth there may be a bit more room for them in my mouth; I do have a small case of crowded teeth. I'm going to my dentist on Tuesday (day eight) for a post op check and I hope that will be the end of my wisdom teeth for good.

Just to make it clear, I had and phobia about going to the dentist, hence first visit at age 27.... but I just decided one day that i had to do it and I'm very glad that I did. This website helped out so much before going and before the extractions, a big thanks to everyone who posted :grouphug:.

If anyone would like to know anything about my wisdom teeth extractions in Dalkey or even about my dentist in Limerick please ask! I would be more than happy to recommend either or pass on contact details or cost or whatever.

Thanks for reading,

Mick.

Well done! Thanks so much for posting that, hopefully it will ease plenty more people's minds about wisdom teeth extractions. Congrats :jump:

Back