• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth extraction question.

W

WORM

Since my first attempt failed due to the IV sedation not working I am now scheduled to go back in next Friday. We will be doing the procedure with Xanax and Nitrous. I have never had nitrous before so any insight you guys could offer on this would be appreciated as well. The plan is to do the left side first and then come back and do the right unless I decide to have the other s on the right pulled as well. My top left is poking through some but the top right is in the gum and extremely small. On my bottom let it has erupted and is only coverd by a small amount of gum tissue in the back but it is straight up and down. The bottom right has erupted with no gum covering it at all and is also straight up and down. Should this be a straight forward extraction? The surgeon did mention cutting the lowers in to pieces to make the removal easier. Is this normal practice? Has anyone had it done this way?

Last edited:
Hi WORM,

sorry to read the IV sedation didn't work. We have a really extensive article about nitrous here on the page, you should find there anything you ever wanted to know about it. Cutting teeth in pieces before extracting them is nothing unusual and probably more scary in your imagination than in reality. Can't say anything about how straight forward your extraction will be, but your surgeon / dentist should be able to let you know what to expect. Hope your treatment will go well next Friday, do keep us posted.

Thank you for the input. I believe the Dr said it would take about 20 minutes to complete. I agree that the idea of cutting the teeth sounds worse than it is. Were your teeth removed this way?

Thank you for the input. I believe the Dr said it would take about 20 minutes to complete. I agree that the idea of cutting the teeth sounds worse than it is. Were your teeth removed this way?

I don't know. My wisdoms went about ten years ago and the dentist back then wasn't very nice. He didn't discuss anything that would get done with me beforehand. Having said that, the only scary thing was dealing with my own dread, there was nothing bad about the procedure itself. The whole procedure took about five minutes and it was all the same dull feeling, I wouldn't be able to tell what he was doing. There was drilling involved so he either cut the tooth into pieces or showed away some bone which both sounds pretty scary, but it was ok, it didn't feel any different to me than having a filling. The dentist had to tell me it was over because again, it all felt just numb, no way for me to recognize the stage of the treatment. That appointment was the quickest one I ever had, the longest part was waiting for the numbness to take effect.

Thanks. i assume the wait is about the same as having a filling done? Not sure why this is bothering me so much. Ready to get it behind me.

All right two days left until my appointment Friday morning. Not sure if I am nervous or just ready to get all of this behind me. Thanks to all of the people that have helped me and countless others on this forum. I will be sure to report back after the procedure

Hope things went well. If you haven't seen it already there is a guide here with some helpful info about what to expect while healing.

Hope all went well on Friday, wishing you a speedy recovery! Let us know how it went.

Big thanks to everyone checking in on me. My appointment was Friday at 1030 and it went well. The only issue I had was getting the bottom tooth numb due to an infection. Other than that everything has been good. I found out that nitrous is the ticket for me and was more than enough to get me through the procedure. I only had to take 1 prescription pain pill on the first day and after that I have been alternating Tylenol and Advil. Hopefully I continue to heal well. All in all it was a bigger deal in my head that what it should have been

Back