• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Wisdom teeth extraction timeline vs. root canal timeline

Susanne

Susanne

For fully erupted or nearly fully erupted wisdom teeth, is the extraction procedure from the time of the numbing injection to when the tooth is out generally quicker than that of a root canal procedure? If I've been able to get through a root canal without much difficulty, should I be able to get through a wisdom tooth extraction (one side only with local anesthetic only) just as well?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Susanne,

I know for me,, all of my wisdom teeth removals were pretty quick , and with local only. way quicker than root canals.

Judythecat

Judythecat

I had my upper left wisdom tooth out a few years ago - they’re not extracted as standard in the U.K. - and it was seconds between the dentist asking if I could feel anything sharp and whether I wanted to see the tooth.

I had a local, and between walking into the surgery and walking back out it was less than 15 minutes, including checking in, and using the loo after the extraction.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you handled a root canal treatment, you will definitely handle the extractions. My teeth were out in 5 minutes or so.