Wisdom teeth extraction was a breeze



Junior member
Dec 18, 2009
I was worried coming up to the day of surgery, but I came across this board which helped a bunch. If I know anyone that is going to go through this, I'll refer them here. This is why I decided to add my own "success story" to the mix.

I am a 19 year old male that had 2 impacted wisdom teeth on my lower jaw and 2 wisdom teeth that would cause crowding on my upper jaw that had to be removed. I had previously set a day to get them removed over a year ago and I chickened out. I am a complete wuss when it comes to surgeries and things of that nature.

My mom came with me to the office and I didn't get called back until nearly 12:40, running 40 minutes behind. I am a night owl so the late appointment didn't phase me in the slightest, although I was highly thirsty (I didn't wake up until 11:30 that day). The oral surgeon came in and began discussing everything that he would be doing and what to expect afterwards. I'm glad he was a nice soft-spoken guy because he eased my nerves up by quite a bit. That's when I learned I actually have 4 impacted wisdom teeth and he said the surgery would take close to 45 minutes. I had read similar stories on here and saw the time taken to get 4 wisdom teeth out seemed to be about 20 minutes on average. I just hoped for the best and sat there as him and his assistants began hooking me up to their equipment and monitors.

I assumed when I went in that I would be under GA, but I was put under by IV sedation instead. I remember getting sleepy and having trouble staying awake and then I heard the assistants laughing as they walked around the room. I had my teeth already out, although I couldn't tell from the numbness and I didn't know if I had finished the surgery or not. Eventually the lady came and told me that it was time for me to leave and I began to argue with her saying I'd never leave! She laughed and helped me out to the car where my mom was waiting. Just a bit of my humor that seeped through. :)

I slept for the first few hours and then I tried to take my first drink of water. Whether it was from the fact that my tongue was numb or my mouth was entirely dry, I ended up semi-choking on my first attempt and I gasped for air for nearly a minute. I decided to drink some water and slowly try to swallow it, which worked out much better.

Apart from that, this whole experience has been fine! I am about 19 hours out of surgery and my pain is only a 2 of 10 with almost no swelling. I was so worried about the pain I would feel after but little did I know I would have none. I'm not even touching my pain medicine at this point since I'm not bothered at all by the little soreness. To be honest, the most painful thing was removing the tape from my arm where the IV was placed - I think I'm hairless there now.

So thank you all for helping me go through with this!
Last edited:


Oct 23, 2009
congrats!! your story inspires me to just get mine done already! :) hope your healing continues to go perfectly!!


Well-known member
Mar 30, 2009
WAy to Go!!:jump::jump::jump:
That IV sedation is wonderful stuff ! So glad it all went so well for you.
If you need some easy to eat receipes, I have posted some here.


Junior member
Dec 28, 2009
Oh that's a great story! It seems my friends who have had it done only ever go on about the pain :censored: so I've put it off for ... oh ... 6 years.

You've made me feel less scared about it getting it out (if I still have to get it done)