• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth extraction!

M

mrachel81

Yesterday I went in to have 3 of my wisdom teeth extracted and I must say that I agree with so many other people who have said that once it's over you think to yourself "What was the big deal?"

I wanted to share my story with you. I went in to the office at 8:45a.m., my appt. was at 9:00. A little before 9:00 the nurse came and got me and took me back so the doctor could talk to me first. He explained a few more things to me and asked if I had any other questions then he said that they would move me to another room to get everything started.

I went to the "operating room" and the nurse hooked up my blood pressure cuff (which of course it was high) and the little things to check my heart rate which was high as well. Then they tried to find a vein on my right arm to start the IV but she couldn't find one so she went to the other arm. Thankfully, she didn't try to stick me until she found one. She took her time and I barely felt anything. They also gave me a little bit of the gas to help try to relax a little more. I asked them once they started the IV if that's when the actually sedation started and they said no it wouldn't start until the doctor came in. Well, about 5 minutes later he came in and said "Ok, I'm gonna give you a little medicine." I remember asking him how long it would take before I felt it and he said "It starts sort of slow and works its way up."

The next thing I know, they're calling me name and telling me I can get up! It was very surprising. While I was waking up, the doctor talked to my husband and said everything went well and the nurse gave my husband all my prescriptions, etc... Then once I was ready, they put me in a wheelchair and took me to my car. I am also happy to say that I was so afraid of being sick afterwards and I didn't get sick at all. Yay!

The rest of the day, I just tried to relax and made sure to take my meds on time. The first pain pill I tried to take when I got home I had trouble with because I was so very numb but I finally got one down. And the last of the Novocaine probably didn't wear off until about 1 this morning.

As of right now, I'm extremely tired. I didn't sleep good plus I have a 10-month daughter who picked last night to be the night that she didn't want to sleep good either. :sleep: So today I'm just gonna take it as easy as I can.

Sorry, this was so long. I really want to keep it short and not bore anybody. But I also wanted to say thanks for the encouragement! I'm so pleased with myself that I was able to get it done.

:grouphug:well done !!! i am so proud of you !!! you seemed to handle the whole thing so well, so calmly, so bravely !! i really admire you and hope that the healing goes well and you experience no problems at all.
give yourself a huge pat on the back and rest up!

speedy recovery :o)

Back