• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom teeth extraction

R

raspberry75

Hello everyone!

I have just discovered this site and am so happy I did!

Next week, I will have my wisdom teeth extracted. I am terrified. I have been avoiding this procedure for 7 years now. My wisdom teeth are now causing jaw pain and headaches. My dentist finally said it is time to do it. I am 30 years old, I have never had any kind of surgery, and am SO afraid of the whole needle-iv sedation-and nitrous O. gaz..... I know I need to do this and I am lucky: my dentist is very friendly and compassionate, but I am still flipping out!

I have a prescription for xanax and will fully take advantage of it. I will be panicking for one week, even at work today I couldn't concentrate!

I can feel my fear taking over..... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
thank you! I think this board is a wonderful support system

Aurora

:welcome:

Hi, Good for you to take the decision to get this sorted. :) You'll be glad you did I'm sure. It's a bit of a pain waiting for treatment and the mind tends to race over all the possibilities, thats only natural. But usually projecting these ideas of what might happen is not terribly helpful to you. What is it that scares you about Nitrous oxide? Most peeps find it very helpful. Certainly a good idea to take advantage of the Xanax, every little helps :)

Sounds like you have a good dentist too. ;D

Take care

Pars :)

ps I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets moved to the wizzie section?

Hey...

I'm right there with you! I have an appointment booked for next Thursday for my wisdome teeth to come out. Unfortuantely here in the UK we don't get the pleasure of having any before hand calming help!

I've had IV sedation before and apart from going a wee bit loopy after coming round (i apparently behaved like a really happy and loud drunk) i don't recall a second!

GOOD LUCK :)

Sarah

Thank you for your kind words....

I have 3 days to go :o and I think that the wait is what is killing me. I wish I could just get in the car now and go get it done. I'm afraid of the I.V and everything else, to me this is all new. God I wish I didn't have to do this! :scared:

I will let you know how it went.
Aurora

Hi

I am going on Tuesday for a consultation with the oral surgeon about my wisdom teeth. I feel the same as you! This is all new to me, I have never had any kind of surgery before so I have never been sedated.

Starting in September I got terrible headaches, a pressure spot in the top left side of my head and it has been with me pretty much every day right up to this exact moment. I may get one or two days a month with no pressure in that spot or a very tolerable pressure but some days are awful! I also have ear achesm jaw pain and a stiff neck. Sometimes pain in my left sinus (cheek area) and left eye but I think that is referred pain as it does not hurt to move my eye and I have no vision problems. Sometimes I get a slight twinge around my wizzie area on the right side but it is 99.9% always left and every day. I had myself convinced that I have a brian tumor. :scared: After a visit to my parents house a few weeks ago I bumped into the neighbour who just had his wizzies out (at age 40, I am 22) and he had all the symptoms I do and after the teeth came out it went away! So I decided to have mine looked at, my dentist said they could be the problem but I have such a hard time convincing myself that it is the teeth. It just seems too simple, you know?

All 4 of my teeth are impacted. The bottom ones have a bit of a pocket, especially the left. I can see a bit of tooth poking through now that I couldn't see a few months ago. So I wonder, could all this pain I have on the left side be from the tooth slowly moving over the last few months? All the pain is left sided so I am trying to tell myself that the left ones are moving more than the right.

Are your symptoms similar to this?

Good luck with your appointment. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. :grouphug:

Hi Luxuria!

My appointm. went well, they are out! the wait was the hardest, and to convince myself to do this. It wa sthe fear of the unknown for me, all this was new.
I have been putting this off for a long time. I'm 31, believe me, the sooner you'll do it the better. I can only speak of my experience, I did have similiar symptoms, headaches, jaw and neck aches etc... Finally I made the decision to have them looked at, and the dentist said it was time to take them out. They were infected. I'm glad I did, the actual procedure is "easy" because you won't remember and feel a thing. They gave me nitrous o. gaz that helped me relax, then the IV. from that point you won't care.

The only thing is the recovery, it is a little painful, but i have good meds and am following the directions from my dentist. Since you are 22 you probably will have an easier time recovering..... versus me at 31. My advice, get it done, you will be glad you did! it is no fun to have those aches and in the long run not good for your health. I was getting colds all the time and am wondering if it was because of my teeth. Time will tell.

hope this helps
:) good luck it will be fine!

Back