• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth holes, food, etc.

S

screenplaya

Hello,

Just had my two lower wisdom teeth out this past Friday. Recovering well.

I'm wondering about the gaping holes that have been left over. What happens if food gets caught in them? I had a little scare because I was chewing some gum in the front of my mouth (sugarless) and a piece got caught in one of the holes. I managed to dislodge it carefully. What happens when gum (always sugarless) and/or food gets caught in there??? Is it dangerous? I can't fathom having to dig in the hole to dislodge food. So far, just the gum has stuck in there and I will be extra careful next time.

So, in short, how long are these holes there and is there a danger of food getting in them?

Also, there is something off white at the bottom of both holes... what is that?

PLEASE HELP;)

I felt the same as you when i had my 4 back teeth out (going back a couple of decades here). got really worried about having 4 big holes at the back of my mouth.

BUT... they actually feel a heck of a lot bigger than they are hun, they feel enormous but if you (feel brave enough) to look at them theyre really not that big :redface: and if mine where anything to go by they do heal over and the tissue builds back up - gums are amazing things!!

I was worried about food getting in there too, wouldnt recommend going straight in with a toothbrush as you might still be really tender there. I'd recommend a cotton bud to get anything out of the gap. A cotton bud with a bit of corsodyl or something like that on it, that way you can be really gentle around the area.

Hope that helps!

Back