• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth information

F

Fanboy11

Hi, I've just had my wisdom teeth out yesterday and I have a few questions. First of all, I have dissolvable stitches, how long should it be before they fall out. Second how long till I can resume physical activity without ripping my stitches. Lastly, how long till I can eat solid foods e.g. hot dogs, hamburgers, steak, ect. I would love feed back within the week as I am planning vacations want to know if I should plan around this.:)

Last edited:
Hi Fanboy11,

I googled what to expect / post-operative instructions with stitches for a wisdom tooth removal and found this -

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/patients/r...extraction/what-to-expect-after-the-operation

"It is important to avoid strenuous activity and exercise for the first few days. While you’re building up your activities, you probably won’t feel like doing much, but walking is the best way to return to fitness. If you play rugby or do martial arts, you should discuss returning to these activities with your surgeon before the operation."

..and this -

[broken link removed]

"Sutures are frequently, but not always, placed in the area of surgery to minimize post-operative bleeding and to help healing. Sometimes they become dislodged; this is no cause for alarm. Just remove the suture form your mouth if it is loose and discard it. In most types of surgery in the mouth, we will use dissolving sutures; this saves the patient the trouble of having sutures removed. These dissolving sutures will usually get loose and fall out within a week, which is a sign that the tissue underneath is most likely healing normally and that the sutures have performed their function and are no longer needed."

As for going back to a normal diet, it is normal to wait at least 2-3 days before going back on solid foods. I recently had my lower right wisdom tooth removed and was able to eat using the left side of my mouth after 2 days. I started using the right side of my mouth again after about a week, but still cleaned out the socket after every time I ate.

Follow the post-operative instructions you were given by your dentist and you'll be healed up in no time. :)

Best of luck, hope this information helped a little! :)

Faithix

Last edited by a moderator:
Back