• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom teeth irrigation questions

S

Steplimb

Hi! This is my first post, and I can’t tell if people still do this here or not.

Had my wisdom teeth (all 4) out 8 days ago. Have don’t everything exactly as the dentist said, including quitting smoking cold turkey. I’ve had terrible anxiety starting before the surgery and persisting post op. I finally managed to get the oral surgeon today, and he flushed some food out of the bottom sockets. He gave me a syringe and said to irrigate them.

Here’s the problem: since he only did the bottom sockets, should I assume he wants me to do the bottom sockets? Also, I thought he told me to do it once a week but my fiancée insists he said every time I eat. It burns when I do it, so I’d rather not do it more than I have to, and at the same time I want to keep it clean. Can not irrigating cause infection? The dental assistant said that they don’t automatically recommend irrigation.

Help?!

I also wonder if anyone can tell me when is the latest you can possibly have complications arise such as dry socket and infection. I’ve heard so many different things that I don’t know what to believe anymore. I know eventually the clot has to turn into tissue, but what is the maximum amount of time for that? I guess I just want to know when I can really not be afraid anymore. I really hope someone responds to this.

You’re going to be okay.

Things rapidly improved for me me when I started irritating.

I believe they advised me to use hydrogen peroxide. I did it twice a day.

You can start now now to do everything they said to the letter.

Eight days seems like the far side of normal for dry sockets.

As as long as you do what they suggest your dry sockets should fix themselves.

Keep us posted. You’re going to make it through this.

Irrigating lol

an apt Freudian slip of auto correct d

I have one hole that is incredibly deep. I tried to eat spaghetti (did not go well) and noodle got stuck in there. I irrigated the hole with salt water and it burns like literally 3 hours later... so not liking the irrigation thus far.

Back