• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Nerve

D

Dark

Hi all, I'm fairly new to this forums so excuse any mistakes I make.

To start things off, I am 18. I've had my wisdom teeth come out sometime when I was 16 perhaps, although they never really caused me pain or discomfort. Food did always get stuck in there which is why I never go out without toothpicks at hand. However, for the past week, I've had difficulty and pain in my left jaw. At first I thought I just slept wrong and gave it 2 days. The pain didn't reside so I knew it was my wisdom teeth and that it was time to see the dentist. I went in and had my x-rays taken. They said I need to get my wisdom teeth extracted as soon as possible and referred me to an oral surgeon in Fresno CA (which is 2 hours away from where I live). Aside from that, they didn't really tell me anything else. I have no one to drive me back home especially after being high as a kite from the general anesthesia. I called up another dentist and had another x-ray taken. This time, being much more informative, told me that I have cavities building up in my lower wisdom teethes because it was an angle impact (I'll post a picture of my x-rays down below). They also told me that they were too close to a nerve. At first I didn't really understand what that that meant but after talking to someone that held off on extracting their wisdom teeth because it was too close to a nerve, I feel like I'm basically stuck having this pain and the constant toothpicking after every meal.

Tldr: Wisdom teeth causing pain, wisdom teeth too close to nerve, long term nerve damage. What should I do?

If you can't see the attached file clearly, here's a imgur link.
http://imgur.com/E90vCkG

Attachments

• IMG_7491.JPG
    IMG_7491.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 30
I would try and find an oral surgeon who uses piezosurgery. Basically its this device developed in Italy that cuts bone without damaging soft tissues. So that means no risk to your nerves and you can live without the toothpicks and pain! I spent weeks looking into minimally invasive extraction procedures because of all the horror stories Ive heard and this was the best option that I could find. Hope this helps!

Hi Dark:

The pros in extracting the wisdom teeth outweigh the cons in your situation IMO.

The malpositioned wisdom teeth will continue to cause food impaction and decay not only on the wisdom teeth but the second molars as well. You need them out ASAP!

Having performed thousands of extractions much worse than yours, I don't think you should delay.

Dr. Tran

Back