• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom teeth- numbness and blood

M

Margarine4

My wisdom tooth surgery is scheduled for tomarrow, and right now I keep going back and forth between panic and calm preperation. I am trying to keep myself busy so I don't have too much time to think about it, but waves of terror keep washing over me.

One of the things I do when I am panicking is to gather all the information I can find about something so that at least I don't feel unprepared. Being armed with information makes me feel like I have more control, and helps me not panic.

I still am fearful about a lot of different things about this, but can someone help me with the two fears that I know are definates in this procedure. . .

1. I have a really big issue with blood in my mouth. I know in my head that it is an illogical fear. I can't say I like seeing blood anywhere, but tasting blood, and knowing it is in my mouth makes me completelly panic. I KNOW I will have blood in my mouth from having wisdom teeth out. What I want to know is how can I deal with it? If you are not allowed to suck on a straw, I would guess you can't suck on something like mints to mask the flavor eithor. Is there something I can do to make it so I don't have to keep tasting blood? The only idea I have had so far is to keep drinking sips of something flavored (but I'm not sure how well that will work with a numb mouth) My husband is ready to help me change gauze, because I know seeing bloody cotton come out of my mouth will really bother me a lot. Please give me some ideas how to deal with all the blood. I need some help.

2. My other big issue is being numb. I have only been numb twice before, and only on one side. Being numb makes me feel like I can't breathe or swallow. I did read about other people having a similar fear, but I don't know how to overcome it. The novacaine takes a really long time to wear off for me too. It took 8 hours before I got ANY feeling back. Is there some way to make it wear off faster? I know in my head that I can breathe, but I still feel like I can't. How can I get past this? Please help

hey
i sent you a pm but the best thing for getting rid of the taste of blood is j20 or fresh fruit juice something like that has a strong flavour and sipping it through a straw is good especially if its cold it really helps i have a constant supply in the fridge !!!
you can do this when yr mouth is numb too and if its bleeding a lot the gauze stops too much getting into yr mouth anyway
good luck
emma

Thanks for your support.

I thought you weren't supposed to drink from a straw after you have teeth out?

Maybe just sipping juice would help?

drinking through a straw should be avoided so as not to dislodge the blood clot. You'l find some useful tips here......

Good luck with your appointment :grouphug:

Will drinking cold tea help the me not to bleed as much? I know you can put a wet tea bag on the extraction site to stop it, but I'm not sure if maybe that would help too? Did anyone try it?

I don't think so as tea is usually hot. Hot would make you bleed more. Ice tea, maybe?

oh god now im scared why didnt they tell me not to drink with a straw my mouth is all swollen and i cant drink well without a straw they didnt tell me not too and its not on my list of to do and not to do oh god !!
emma

I wouldn't worry too much. If you already drank from a staw, and you had yours taken out a few days ago-right?

The only thing that could happen is dry socket- I think. And if you didn't get more pain 2-3 days after, you probably didn't get that.

I don't think drinking from a straw could make you swell

Good luck. Don't panic. The worst is already over.

Awww Emma, please dont worry or panic ( i know thats easier said than done)
I'm sure its been said on here before that " dry socket" occurs within 48 hours if its going to happen at all.
Swelling and /or bruising seems to be sort of normal post wisdom tooth extraction, I would use ice packs to reduce the swelling...........that works wonders.:grouphug:

When I had mine out they told me not to use a straw for 24 hours. As for the taste of blood from the wisdom teeth, believe it or not i did not experience that....Luckily I guess!

I sure hope all goes well tomorrow and I am sure you will do great!!

When I had my wisdom teeth out (in May) I was very sleepy afterwards and I was supposed to be biting on gauze to help the bleeding to stop but I kept falling asleep. The bleeding continued into the evening so I stuffed a moist tea bag back there on each side and since they are larger than the gauze I didn't have to pay as much attention to biting down on it. The tannin helped tremendously in getting the bleeding to stop too.

hey margarine4
im thinking of you and im really hoping yr ok and everything went well for you i need good news and im sure you will provide it !!
all the best
take care of yrself
emma

Back