• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth out with GA, and a question!

G

Giovacchino

My name is Chelsea, I'm eighteen, and had all four of my impacted wisdom teeth extracted today with Laughing Gas and General Anesthesia. I was really nervous leading up to the surgery, but this is basically what happened.

I filled out the usual paperwork, and then was called back into the office. I was really nervous, but doing my best to calm myself using some techniques like focusing on my breathing and etc. They took an Xray and then brought me into my room to let me lie down in the dentist's chair. The surgeon came in and took a look at the Xrays and to look around my mouth. When he looked into my mouth he said, "Wow, you really don't have any room in here - you're probably gonna wanna go under for this." So I was gonna be put under some GA.

To help calm me down, they gave me a breathing mask with Laughing Gas, and then started hooking me up to monitors. The Laughing Gas smelled like Cotton Candy, which was WONDERFUL! I love Cotton Candy. Then once it started getting into my system I just felt really calm and floaty - I actually almost started falling asleep just from it! They put the band around my arm and then put in the IV, it did sting a tiny bit, but the Laughing Gas made me just not really care about it. I had to wait for 10 minutes (at least what felt that long) for my Surgeon to come in, so I just laid back and listened to the music and kept chuckling to myself off and on whenever I thought something I thought was funny.

Finally the surgeon came in, and the nurses were actually making fun of him because instead of saying "Commentary" he said "Commentated." Which was hilarious to me, too. Then next thing I knew I was in the car on the way home, my grandma said the actual time he spent in my mouth doing the surgery was like 20 minutes. They didn't even tell me when they were starting the anesthesia. I experienced no nausea as I woke up, and had limited pain right away.

Now a few hours later, I get a little nauseous if I move too quickly, or get up too fast. And I'm in a little more pain than I was earlier - but I've been being consistent with my Hydrocodone and with icing my face, which helps a lot.

Now to my question:

The unusual side effect I'm having is that my legs are really tingly and almost numb - they weren't when I first got home, it developed a couple hours later - and my hands are just a tiny bit.

Is this normal? I can't find anything about it online, and none of my friends ever had this symptom. I'm not sure if it's just from leftover Anesthesia in my system, the pain killers, not enough sleep (Only gotten like one hour since I got home, just not tired), or a mixture of it all.

Did anyone else have this symptom? How long did it last?

But to make a long post short, I went through with my fear, and the surgery was nothing. I feel so stupid for worrying about it now because it was so easy. So anyone else who has to have this done: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. It was a piece of cake. I even had a lot of fun and enjoyed the Laughing Gas. But I won't lie; the recovery sucks. Stay on top of your medicine and the ice and you should be fine!

Well done and thanks for posting your success story :)

I think the side effect you are feeling are from the hydrocodone pain killers and not the wisdom tooth extractions. The side effects are common and not anything to worry about. It will go away when you stop taking them.
On a side note - you had IV sedation and not a GA (general anaesthetic). I'm only mentioning this because others might read this (who are looking for GA) and think it is available in a dentist's office.

Cheers
Coolin

On a side note - you had IV sedation and not a GA (general anaesthetic). I'm only mentioning this because others might read this (who are looking for GA) and think it is available in a dentist's office.

I went to a Oral & Facial Surgeon's office, and when I signed off my papers he told me to mark an "X" next to "General Anesthesia" not IV Sedation, which was also a choice to mark - so I'm just going off what he told me.

And yeah, when I woke up this morning now that the medicine ran out of my system I don't have any of the side effects anymore, and minimal pain. I think I might be ready to just start taking come OTC pills.

Hi Chelsea! I was wondering how everything went for you. So glad it went well. It encourages me.

Back