• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Removal Anxiety

C

celesteybear

So I suffer extremely from needle phobia in general and I have to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I went to the consultation and I cried like crazy just discussing the procedure so I was prescribed 10 mg of valium to help ease my anxiety about getting an IV which I've never gotten. I normally pass out with shots so an IV is even worse. I'm scared that the valium isn't enough to calm me though. I wanted an oral sedative to make it so I was asleep when they put the IV in for the anesthesia. Do you think that the valium is enough to make it so that I won't freak out when they go to put the IV in? I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed on Friday and I've been crying all day every day since a week ago because I'm already so anxious and nervous about the procedure and the pain afterward and I'm really worried that valium won't be enough. What do y'all think??

I just had my wisdom teeth out in May and I was prescribed 15 mg Valium by my Oral surgeon. I was instructed to take it an hour before my surgery with a super small sip of water. I am not afraid of needles but I was very anxious about the surgery because it was the first time I ever went "under". Your doctor knows what they are doing...you should be fine! I didn't even look at the needle when they put it in. The minute they get the IV in you, you'll be out! Good luck!

Back