• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Removal! Terrible Anxiety.

• Thread starter AnxietyAboutEverything
  • Start date
A

AnxietyAboutEverything

Hi everyone, I'm 17 and I have to get my wisdom teeth out in a week! I have terrible medial and death related anxieties. Honestly I have anxiety just about everything, hense the name.

A week from now I need to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed. 2 are fully erupted (uppers) and 2 are partially erupted (lowers) I believe the dentist also called them "bonies" too, I will not be put under sedation and they're gonna be done at the dental office and NOT by a dental surgeon. My dentist says he's confident in doing them and that the roots look to be conical, as well as the roots have not fully formed. He says he should be able to get them out anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours. I'm supposed to get laughing gas but I'm super anxious about that. I'm anxious of dying of lack of oxygen, I'm anxious about swallowing or choking on a tooth. I'm anxious about them hitting a nerve. I'm worried about the procedure all together. So, I have a few questions.

Has anyone else ever had all 4 wisdom teeth removed without sedation and at the dentist?
Anyone with a similar extraction to mine; how did it go?
Any advice for not stressing over the laughing gas?
Any support would be great.:shame:

Good morning,

I have not had my wisdom teeth removed, so I really can't comment on that portion of your question. I can tell you that I use nitrous every time I go to the dentist and have never had a problem. I even use it to get my teeth cleaned. It helps me tremendously. I also take Xanax because my anxiety is so off the charts, but the nitrous really helps me get through the appointment. It also seems to make the appointments shorter. At least to me. I have never felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen or that I was suffocating or anything like that. It just takes the edge off and makes me feel like I can get through it. I also find myself concentrating on my breaths more and not so much about what they are doing to my teeth. I hope this helps and I hope all goes well with you next week. I have an appointment on Friday to get a permanent crown seated and I am already stressing that big time, so you are not alone out there. I will be sending good thoughts you way! Reno:)

OP Here, just wanted to give a little update! I went to get my wisdom teeth out yesterday, the surgery went extremely smoothly and quick, the only complication was a bad reaction to the laughing gas, the mask gave me a pretty bad anxiety attack as well has really bad sense of claustrophobia, the dentist promptly sat me up, switched on just oxygen to get the remaining laughing gas out of my system, let me calm down, then we proceeded to do the surgery without it. Real quick and simple, was done in under an hour. The most annoying part was dealing with the numbness. I took some advil as soon as I was un-numb enough to do so, and took 2 every 4 hours up until bed. Today is the 2nd day of recovery, i woke up in no pain at all, a little bit of a sore throat and sore jaw but that's it. Over-all the experience was super quick, easy, and painless.

Back