• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Removal without Laughing Gas or IV sedation?

N

Nova

I talked to my dentist and he stated that a long time ago he got his wisdom teeth removed without being put under or without using laughing gas, just novacane (when they still used cocaine). He explained he felt no pain, just pressure. Anyways, my question is are there many doctors left who will remove your wisdoms with only local anesthesia shots? Is that a rare request? My wisdom teeth are impacted and are ready to go through my second set of mollars. I would be willing to get the gas but not the IV. The only problem I see with that is my nose always blocks when anything foreign enters it, then I wouldn't be receiving enough oxygen.

Most dentists should be willing to the the procedure with nitrous oxide and local anesthetics, and they will most likely let you know of all the other options you have available to you for the procedure.

As for the nitrous oxide, the only thing you'll likely notice is a slightly sweet scent. And it should help you relax enough to continue to breathe normally.

Make a call do your dentist's office and they should be able to answer these and any other questions you have for the procedures.

I've had the laughing gas multiple times (it's the only way I can sit through an appointment at all)

The way the gas mask works, it does not actually go into your nose. It's kind of like a small oxygen mask. The picture on this website accurately shows what it looks like. Nothing goes into your nose. When you first inhale, it will be a little cold, but it smells sweet. Take deep breaths and you will start feeling the gas within minutes. If you're not feeling anything alternate how you are breathing (I do deep breathes through my nose and out my mouth, but you may need to breathe ONLY through the nose). Once the dentist gets started I breathe only through my nose. You will start to feel tired on the gas, and your limbs will feel a tiny bit heavy, but still movable. Any music playing will get this strange 'loop echo' and your voice will sound super deep. That's generally how you can tell if the gas is working. While on the gas, you will not care about any of the dental work going on. it's really interesting how chill and relaxed you become. I don't notice the shots for the anesthetic (and the shots are my major fear!). My suggestion is to enjoy and concentrate on the gas and close your eyes (it makes it feel like you are sleeping!). The laughing gas section of this website really goes in depth and also I can answer any of your other questions regarding laughing gas.

P.S. I've also had IV sedation for 2 dental surgeries.

Hi Nova -

I had both of my bottom wisdom teeth removed last Wednesday and I chose to have local anesthetic (4 Novocaine shots). I believe that you can choose what you would like to have during your appointment. Most people choose to have IV sedation because of dental fears, peace of mind etc. I have dental fears as well however I chose to be awake because I prefer to have control over my functions. The only thing that hurts about staying awake for the procedure is the shots themselves; they hurt the most but after I was completely numb I didn't feel anything from the procedure, just pressure. I decided to bring music and headphones with me because the oral surgeon said that I may hear my teeth cracking or the noise of the drill in case they needed to break my teeth into pieces and remove them one-by-one. I was out within 30 minutes and was still numb for a few hours after the procedure. Overall I am healing nicely, but it is all based on preference. If you stay awake, you choose to stay awake, you can drive yourself. If you go to sleep make sure someone drives you to the appointment and back home.

Back