• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth removed - it went great!

• Thread starter AndersDanAnders
  • Start date
A

AndersDanAnders

My wisdom teeth had to be removed for over a year now but I was very scared.

I made an appoint with the oral surgeon in the hospital last year but cancelled because of stress.

Now a year later, I was still stressed almost weekly just by thinking about it. In the meanwhile I had found a new dentist who said she'd do the extraction herself if I decided to do it.

So last week I made an appointment. From that day on I took 5mg of diazepam (valium) each day and got through the week fairly okay.
Today was the appointment, I went and tried to put on my brave face. The patient before me took super long so I had to wait 20 minutes extra which was horrible.

I came in and she asked 'how are you' and there came the tears. She immediately reassured me that everything was going to be okay and if I felt any pain she would stop immediately.

I was under the impression that my right lower wisdom tooth would be removed but she suddenly said she would do upper and lower in one go. By this point I was fine with it since I didn't want to go back for another stressful event.

First she numbed the area with some gel or something and then she gave me the oral anaestatic. I felt it sting a little on the upper side but it didn't hurt. On the bottom it hurt a tiny little bit, but really not bad.

Then she started pulling on the upper one. Before I knew it, maybe a minute or so, it was out. Then the lower one, that one took a little longer maybe 2 minutes tops.
She put stitches in the upper gums and I was free to go :)

She told me not to expect much pain and if it did hurt a little to take an over the counter pain killer.

That was 6 hours ago. The anaestatic hasn't worn off complety but I feel no pain.

I had been in stress over this for over a year. I've even been seeing a phychologist (not that it helped).

If I had know that it would be such a breeze I would have never, ever, ever waited this long!!!!

Please all of you that still have to go. Go, go now, even if it hurts (which it doesn't) the treatment itself is shorter than all the time and anxiety you spend worrying about it and letting it ruin your life.

Just before I left the dentist told me the other side also has to be done.

I told her I'll make an appointment in a couple of months. I'm not worried about it anymore, but this was enough for one month :)

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Sorry if there are a lot of spelling errors, I'm from Holland and not a native English speaker.

Woohoooo :jump: well done !!!!!!!

You were amazingly brave !

All the stress and the worry we put ourselves through is soooo much worse isnt it !

I had the same story as you and had mine done last week and couldnt believe how quick and painless the procedure really is !!!!

Relax now its all over its such a lovely sigh of relief and you can get on with your life now :))))))))))

xxxxxx

At was all? For a wisdom tooth? YAY! I am proud of you! :jump::jump::jump:
Woohoooo :jump: well done !!!!!!!

You were amazingly brave !

All the stress and the worry we put ourselves through is soooo much worse isnt it !

I had the same story as you and had mine done last week and couldnt believe how quick and painless the procedure really is !!!!

Relax now its all over its such a lovely sigh of relief and you can get on with your life now :))))))))))

xxxxxx

Hallo neighbour !
I live in Germany although I am English.
I am so glad it is over for you and I really do agree that all the stress and worry we put ourselves through is much worse than the actual dental treatment.

I have been needing treatment for about 5 years now:redface: and there was no way I could make myself go to the dentist but I did it on Monday this week and am now healing well.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend...stress free !

CONGRATULATIONS :jump: :cheers: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump::cheers: Well done. I hope you continue to stay pain free and heal well. :jump: :jump: :jump:

the treatment itself is shorter than all the time and anxiety you spend worrying about it and letting it ruin your life.

Yep, so so so true ! Glad it went so well :)

Well I am next...next week I am scheduling it. I am terrified and your story helps me a little. Been there done that and I agree nothing helps...just getting through it will. I hope I post a success story afterwards. Did you need the pain killers? They are telling me all I will need is Motrin....:cry:

I made an appoint with the oral surgeon in the hospital last year but cancelled because of stress.

Now a year later, I was still stressed almost weekly just by thinking about it. In the meanwhile I had found a new dentist who said she'd do the extraction herself if I decided to do it.

So last week I made an appointment. From that day on I took 5mg of diazepam (valium) each day and got through the week fairly okay.
Today was the appointment, I went and tried to put on my brave face. The patient before me took super long so I had to wait 20 minutes extra which was horrible.

I came in and she asked 'how are you' and there came the tears. She immediately reassured me that everything was going to be okay and if I felt any pain she would stop immediately.

I was under the impression that my right lower wisdom tooth would be removed but she suddenly said she would do upper and lower in one go. By this point I was fine with it since I didn't want to go back for another stressful event.

First she numbed the area with some gel or something and then she gave me the oral anaestatic. I felt it sting a little on the upper side but it didn't hurt. On the bottom it hurt a tiny little bit, but really not bad.

Then she started pulling on the upper one. Before I knew it, maybe a minute or so, it was out. Then the lower one, that one took a little longer maybe 2 minutes tops.

She told me not to expect much pain and if it did hurt a little to take an over the counter pain killer.

That was 6 hours ago. The anaestatic hasn't worn off complety but I feel no pain.

I had been in stress over this for over a year. I've even been seeing a phychologist (not that it helped).

If I had know that it would be such a breeze I would have never, ever, ever waited this long!!!!

Please all of you that still have to go. Go, go now, even if it hurts (which it doesn't) the treatment itself is shorter than all the time and anxiety you spend worrying about it and letting it ruin your life.

I told her I'll make an appointment in a couple of months. I'm not worried about it anymore, but this was enough for one month :)

Sorry if there are a lot of spelling errors, I'm from Holland and not a native English speaker.

Re: Wisdom teeth removed - it went great! : My Turn!

I CAN NOT tell you how much happier I am reading your post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.:)

I have in gum infection right at the lower right back wisdom tooth, and it just will not go away - so it needs to come out - TODAY! :scared: :scared:

Freaking is an understatement - I cry also at "how are you" and that's just for a check up.:(

Dentist I spoke to this morning was wonderfully calming and helpful, and has prescribed Benzodiazepine which I don't know about but desperately hoping will help. They don't use 'gas'.

Of course I don't like pain - the local anasthetic needle is very uncomfortable, but it's the intimate invasion and loss of control that makes me, normally quite a brave individual, freak.

I have visions of him with his knees on my chest pulling and pulling with a big pair of pliers - maybe too many cartoons as a kid. :scared:

Anyways - AndersDanAnders, along with other positive experience posters, have helped quite a lot. If you can do it....so can I!! :jump:

I'll let you know.

Back