• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth stitches

L

Laura86

Hello,
I had all 4 wisdom teeth out 3 and a half days ago and one of the stitches appears to have a “tail” of string that sits against my second molar or moves under my tongue- I can feel it like a strand of string. Everything else looks fine, it looks like it’s just the end of a stitch. I’m just worried that this “string” will get caught in/under my tongue or in my toothbrush and I’ll accidentally pull it and undo the stitching. Is this much of a risk? Should I attempt to move it?
Thanks
Laura

Do NOT attempt to remove stitches! If it is a concern, go back to you oral surgeon and they can clip it shorter.

Hello,
I had all 4 wisdom teeth out 3 and a half days ago and one of the stitches appears to have a “tail” of string that sits against my second molar or moves under my tongue- I can feel it like a strand of string. Everything else looks fine, it looks like it’s just the end of a stitch. I’m just worried that this “string” will get caught in/under my tongue or in my toothbrush and I’ll accidentally pull it and undo the stitching. Is this much of a risk? Should I attempt to move it?
Thanks
Laura
Without knowing your clinical situation, I would suggest not to touch it. Putting new stitches has more cost than benefit (physiologically speaking).

Thanks, there’s no way I would try to pull it out on purpose, I’m just worried about it happening by accident. I’ve had so much anxiety about this surgery and recovery!

It's not a risk, you won't be able to pull it out during normal function. Stitches in your mouth are incredibly annoying aren't they? I thought it was the worst thing about getting my wisdom teeth out, feels like you've got a hair stuck in there someplace doesn't it!

Yes that’s exactly how it feels! I actually thought it was hair for the first day or 2 but was too scared to touch it. I can’t wait for this recovery to be complete.
On a similar but not quite the same note, I do competitive dance/aerobics, when would it be ok to resume that? Thanks heaps

I had that exact feeling with my last molar extraction! The stitch was wrapped around my molar next to it and was super annoying. It did not come out when I was brushing, though. Sorry, no advice, but I can sympathize!

That’s what it seems to be like for mine too. It didn’t move when I brushed my teeth. Still getting a bit of blood coming out when I rinse with salt water but not much- mostly just traces.

If you feel up to it, there's no dental reason why you can't do your dancing now if you want.

Thanks, that’s good to know

Hello, I’m now 7 days after surgery and it feels like one of my stitches is on the way out. Is this ok or too early? I’m just nervous because it’s at the site of the tooth that was partially erupted and had a gum flap and a cavity- yet they said it was still a straightforward removal.

Also, is a bit of light, short-lasting intermittent pain in other teeth/gums still normal after 7 days? It’s not bad pain, not even enough to really say ouch. I know it can’t be decay because that base was well and truly covered while I was under GA, and is highly unlikely to be infection given that I took a 5-day course of antibiotics after surgery. Is my mouth probably just needing time to completely recover from its ordeal? I know that 4 wisdom teeth out, 3 fillings, 1 periodontal debridement and 5 fissure sealants plus whatever cleaning was done is a lot to go through at once, and I know I’m also hyper-alert and conscious of any sensation, so hoping all is normal and I can calm down soon.

Thanks again!
Laura

Hello, I’m now 7 days after surgery and it feels like one of my stitches is on the way out. Is this ok or too early? I’m just nervous because it’s at the site of the tooth that was partially erupted and had a gum flap and a cavity- yet they said it was still a straightforward removal.

Also, is a bit of light, short-lasting intermittent pain in other teeth/gums still normal after 7 days? It’s not bad pain, not even enough to really say ouch. I know it can’t be decay because that base was well and truly covered while I was under GA, and is highly unlikely to be infection given that I took a 5-day course of antibiotics after surgery. Is my mouth probably just needing time to completely recover from its ordeal? I know that 4 wisdom teeth out, 3 fillings, 1 periodontal debridement and 5 fissure sealants plus whatever cleaning was done is a lot to go through at once, and I know I’m also hyper-alert and conscious of any sensation, so hoping all is normal and I can calm down soon.

Thanks again!
Laura
It should not be a problem. By now, the stitches are not really needed. Certainly there is still healing going on. What is needed is time and patience. All the best.

Thanks so much! I just wish I could do a fast forward preview and know everything will be ok.

Back