• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth and the wand? So scared!

K

Krystal1985

Hello,

I need to get a lower wisdom tooth out and I am so scared. I read you can use the wand to remove a wisdoms tooth. Is that true? And if so does it still number your chin, lip and toungue?

Yes, potentially you can use the wand to freeze it up, just like any other tooth. Second question is it depends on circumstances, possibly yes, possibly no, sorry.

If your dentist has it, yes. However, it would likely be the same type of shot (a block) as would be given with the regular syringe, and yes it will freeze those areas as well.

The good news is that you can, in some cases, ask for a short(er) acting local anesthetic to be used. Assuming it is something simple, you can ask for Mepivacaine 3% Plain to be used as the local drug - if its something that they have to surgically remove then maybe not the best idea.

In my experience this stuff wears off about an hour or so faster down there (pretty well exactly 3 hours and 30 minutes from the time the shot is given to the time it is worn off) - not to mention it has been found to be just as effective as what's normally given. It's also exactly what I had with The Wand when I had my wisdom teeth out, and I honestly barely felt the shot.

Last edited:
Back