• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth concern

J

Joannalouise92

Long story short, after an infection in my lower left wisdom tooth, I decided to have it extracted. This was at the dentist under local anaesthetic. To say it was terrible is an understatement, he really seemed to struggled to get it out and the pressure of him pulling and twisting and levering (so it felt!) was amped unbearable. Eventually he gets it out whole, no cuts to my gum at all, and essentially it had a slightly curved root and an additional bit of "baby tooth" added on one side - hence it was difficult to get out!
My worry is that, now it is the morning of the 5th day (Wednesday morning, I had it out Froday afternoon) and it's still achey.
I'm not in pain, wouldn't ever say I had been in pain (though I am continuously on painkillers) but it's just a dull ache / soreness.
Most websites seem to advise I'll be fine by day 3... So, is this normal or should I be worried?

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Technically you are fine after three days, this usually means that you are safe from dry socket. We all heal at different rates and considering that the extraction was a difficult one I would expect to be feeling a bit achy. Your mouth has just suffered a trauma and if you had had an operation on any other part of your body you would not be alarmed if you still ached at this stage.

I would think that you will start to feel it aching a bit less now as each day passes and as long as the ache doesn't get worse I wouldn't worry.

If you get really bad pain and or a really bad taste then contact your dentist.

I am not a dentist and if you are still worried then do contact your dentist and let them have a look but from what you have said you do sound okay. :butterfly:

Last edited:
Angeldove

Angeldove

Every tooth and person are going to be different - never had a tooth extracted (until tomorrow - I have 2 wisdom teeth coming out), but with root canals, some teeth never gave me any issues, some took a week to calm down, and one calmed down right away but took 6 months for a corner of it to not hurt when I pushed on it.

From what I hear, if you had dry socket or an infection, you'd be in major pain. Minor pain I would make sure that I'm taking my pain meds as directed and keeping the area clean with salt water rinses. Should mend itself with time.