• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth extraction and ANXIETY!

S

scottie

Firstly, hi everyone. I have my top right wisdom tooth booked in for an extraction in two days and I am basically freaking out!
Like most people with health anxiety I did what I shouldnt and read all the horror stories online, so now I am so scared, I have been waking up at 5 in the morning everyday with my heart pounding.

I had my top right wisdom tooth filled a few times now, hoping that I could avoid an extraction, but after last time my dentist said if we need to do anything to it again it will have to be extracted. I am a 44 year old man, acting like Im 12. Its crazy!

So after eating some popcorn, I had a piece lodge and possibly break a little bit of the wisom tooth off, so now if I have something cold or hot it's sensitive. It's not unbearable but its there.

I went to another dentist who does extractions, for a medical practice, and he said he could take it out in 20 minutes. In the chair. just with local anaesthetic. They have an IV anaesthetist in only once a month so I would have to wait if I wanted IV sedation.

So basically I am doing it in the chair with local. I am worried about it and how much it will hurt?!?

I am also worried becuase I have to get on a long 24 hour flight in 4 weeks. The cabin pressure? Is that something that could be a problem so close to having the extraction? Would it heal completely by then? Would I be better off doing the extraction when I get back? Which will be in two months from now.

H E L P!!! Any helpful advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi :)

i can't really answer your questions but I empathize with your anxiety. If you truly feel like you need to be put under for the extraction I say either wait it out until the time of the month when the anesthesia guy is available or go somewhere else. It's only one tooth you would be getting out, so I would think having it done under local anesthesia would not be such a big deal. However, I have not yet had my wisdom teeth out or anything. I had a few teeth pulled when I was really little...that was a nightmare but mainly because of my terrible dentist(s) at the time.

You will be under local anesthesia and it's just one tooth so like I said it seems like it will not be that traumatic. But, if you are as prone to getting delirious with anxiety as I am, I think I would swing for general anesthesia.

Hopefully someone with an experience similar to yours can come along and give you their personal story, or at least answer your questions. I just wanted to offer my support since no one else had answered. Also, perhaps posting this in the wisdom tooth section might get it more focus, although it fits just fine here in support I think.

Wishing you well,
Ihatedentistss

Thank you and I appreciate your supportive words. My extraction is happening in about 2 hours, so hopefully it will not be bad and I can get back on here to reassure some other people.

Hi :)

i can't really answer your questions but I empathize with your anxiety. If you truly feel like you need to be put under for the extraction I say either wait it out until the time of the month when the anesthesia guy is available or go somewhere else. It's only one tooth you would be getting out, so I would think having it done under local anesthesia would not be such a big deal. However, I have not yet had my wisdom teeth out or anything. I had a few teeth pulled when I was really little...that was a nightmare but mainly because of my terrible dentist(s) at the time.

You will be under local anesthesia and it's just one tooth so like I said it seems like it will not be that traumatic. But, if you are as prone to getting delirious with anxiety as I am, I think I would swing for general anesthesia.

Hopefully someone with an experience similar to yours can come along and give you their personal story, or at least answer your questions. I just wanted to offer my support since no one else had answered. Also, perhaps posting this in the wisdom tooth section might get it more focus, although it fits just fine here in support I think.

Wishing you well,
Ihatedentistss

Sending good thoughts! My 2 top wisdom teeth were extracted with local and I didn't feel a thing. Take good care and let us know how it goes!

Not a problem. When you feel up to it I would love to know how it went! :clover:

OK, so here is the update. I went in and saw my dentist and he gave me a local. I took a small dose of Valium before it to calm me down. Then he reached in, and wiggked my tooth, while I kept my eyes closed and then he turned around, and I thought he was reaching for another tool, so I asked "What's happening?" And he said "it's done!" That was it! The extraction took about 45 seconds.

It hurt less than getting a filling. I cannot believe I got so worked up! SO guys, I know it sounds scary but it's seriously ok.

Mine was done about 6 ours ago, and the local has well and truelly wore off, but it's managable pain. It's not horrible pain, I just took some over the counter painkillers now.

I hope this lessens someones anxiety just a little.

Thanks

Not a problem. When you feel up to it I would love to know how it went! :clover:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like all went very well. Congrats on getting through it!!!

Back