• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth Extraction and Stitches

M

Meepmeep

Hi All

Finally plucked up the courage to move to a new practice which has been recommended on this site - first appt in a few weeks. My old dentist has been telling me for ages to have the upper left wisdom tooth out - but when I had the upper right one out it was a nightmare and I ended up with dry socket. Add to this a failed anaesthetic during a tooth removal as a child I'm not keen on more extractions.

The big worry I have is the open wound/socket whilst it heals. I'd feel more comfortable and less panicky if the wound/socket was stitched. Can anyone advise if this is something I can reasonably ask for - it'd make me feel a lot more comfortable during the healing period and less panicky?

Yes, you can ask for the socket to be packed and sutured. I have done this for all of my extractions since I got dry socket. It doesn’t prevent getting dry socket (you must also follow all of the rules and not smoke, drink from a straw, drink carbonated beverages), but it is another measure to help you heal.

I'd have no issues with popping in a couple of sutures if it made the patient happier, can't see why your dentist would have a problem doing it.

Thanks all - appreciate the advice. Gives me some comfort that it's not a daft request to make :)

Back