• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth extraction hole. Is it dry socket?

S

sarahhadi

I had my wisdom tooth removed 9 days ago and the hole looks like this now. I have strange taste in my mouth and i even bet you it smells very, very bad! Heres the pic. The hole is filled with white thing and covered with hairy black thing i believe. Is it dry socket? It doesnt hurt for now.
5wgu2x.jpg

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Sarah,

I'm not a dentist, but one of the things I have learned in this forum about dry socket is this: the main symptom of it is heavy pain and it only occurs during the first 4 days after the extraction. So given you have no pain it shouldn't be dry socket (if I am mistaken, please someone correct me).
The fact that you have posted your question here on the forum might mean that you would like to avoid seeing your dentist to ask him/her, but maybe it would be a good idea.

All the best wishes

Last edited:
E

Elledc

Hi there Sara! Can you tell what happened to the healing of tour gums after extraction? Mine quite look like that too. Thank you for the help!

J

Jloaiza95

Hi there Sara! Can you tell what happened to the healing of tour gums after extraction? Mine quite look like that too. Thank you for the help!

I second that. Was it dry socket?

M

MountainMama

I second that. Was it dry socket?

I would guess it was not dry socket. I had dry socket and there was no absence of pain at all! It was constant and throbbing, and it kept me up at night.

S

Shelbylynn27

As gross as it sounds i guarantee you it’s food. The syringe they give you to rinse with, you need to put it back there with warm water and give enough pressure a few times til it all comes out cause I just had to do it cause mine had an awful taste and I wondered what it was til I got it rinsed out and could see what it was