Wisdom Tooth extraction hole. Is it dry socket?

S

sarahhadi

I had my wisdom tooth removed 9 days ago and the hole looks like this now. I have strange taste in my mouth and i even bet you it smells very, very bad! Heres the pic. The hole is filled with white thing and covered with hairy black thing i believe. Is it dry socket? It doesnt hurt for now.
5wgu2x.jpg

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Sarah,

I'm not a dentist, but one of the things I have learned in this forum about dry socket is this: the main symptom of it is heavy pain and it only occurs during the first 4 days after the extraction. So given you have no pain it shouldn't be dry socket (if I am mistaken, please someone correct me).
The fact that you have posted your question here on the forum might mean that you would like to avoid seeing your dentist to ask him/her, but maybe it would be a good idea.

All the best wishes

Last edited:
E

Elledc

Hi there Sara! Can you tell what happened to the healing of tour gums after extraction? Mine quite look like that too. Thank you for the help!

J

Jloaiza95

Hi there Sara! Can you tell what happened to the healing of tour gums after extraction? Mine quite look like that too. Thank you for the help!

I second that. Was it dry socket?

M

MountainMama

I second that. Was it dry socket?

I would guess it was not dry socket. I had dry socket and there was no absence of pain at all! It was constant and throbbing, and it kept me up at night.

S

Shelbylynn27

As gross as it sounds i guarantee you it’s food. The syringe they give you to rinse with, you need to put it back there with warm water and give enough pressure a few times til it all comes out cause I just had to do it cause mine had an awful taste and I wondered what it was til I got it rinsed out and could see what it was