• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth extraction, pain and tooth infection.

O

Ow

Hi,

I had my back, right wisdom tooth out last Friday. This was taken out due to it being horizontally impacted and it was the source of an infection in the second right molar.

Since it was taken out, I've had on and off periods of pain. I feel like the pain really is in the two back molars, not really in the extraction site but frankly I can't be sure (although I assume I would still have some pain considering it wasn't that long ago I had it done and the nature of the impaction). I don't think I've lost the clot, and the pain does really subside at some points.

I know I need to go back to my regular dentist to get my infected teeth sorted out, but was not actually told when I should do this. Will I need to wait the two weeks to see my regular dentist? I don't know.

I'm really sorry, but the advice I was given at the hospital was pretty poor. I was even offered to have another tooth taken out (my upper wisdom tooth on that side, I believe) despite none of the other practitioners I'd seen telling me that might even be a possibility!

Do you think I should just go back to my regular dentist? This pain, when it is here, is quite distracting. I guess it could be dry socket but it's been on and off like this in those teeth since I had my tooth extracted.

Thanks.

O

Ow

Also, I suspect I have chronic sinusitis which I didn't want to go to a doctor about until after I had this tooth taken out. I feel like this surgery may have made these problems worse, although, I can't honestly say I have it (although I've had symptoms like this for months and months). My ears pop a lot, constantly feel full, and the cavities around my eyes, nose and cheeks also feel painful.

That said, I'm also convinced I've come down with a chest cold. I feel slightly nauseous and can feel mucus 'trickling' down my chest as well as a light headache.

Oh well. I'd be really interested to hear anyone else's opinions but I think I'm going to try and make a doctor's appointment and go and see my dentist ASAP. Hopefully discussing it with both of them will be okay.

Last edited:
D

DentalParanoia

The pain you described in your teeth is pretty much the same issue I'm having (although we discussed this in my thread today). At the two-three mark, my OS advised I see my dentist a few after that, so maybe after the extraction, a six week waiting period is normal to finally visit with your own dentist. I'm honestly just guessing because much like your hospital, clear directions were not given.

I've heard that if it's after three or so days from surgery and you haven't developed a dry socket, then you're free and clear. Plus the pain is apparently unbearable and you'd notice it right away if you had a dry socket. I highly doubt the pain is from that and could just be from the infection you described earlier.

I'm really no expert in all this, but hopefully your visit with the doctor and dentist will clear things up for you!