• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth Extraction Success!

B

BekTens

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, but I spent a lot of time lurking while I was anticipating wisdom tooth extraction and freaking the heck out.

About 3 years ago, my top right wisdom tooth broke. It didn't bother me, so I left it alone because I'm a huge baby when it comes to going to the dentist.

So, when did it start bothering me? Last summer when I was 7 weeks pregnant. All of a sudden, I had this sharp, shooting pain that felt like someone was sticking a knife up there over and over again!

I hauled my sorry self over to the first dentist who would see me right away. They did X-rays (triple-leaded since I was pregnant) and told me all 4 wisdom teeth were horribly infected and had to come out right away.

Of course, since I was pregnant, all I was allowed to have was lidocain and codeine.

They gave me antibiotics and referred me to an oral surgeon. The antibiotics stopped the pain within 24 hours, and a month later, I found myself shaking in the waiting room at the oral surgeon's office.

The consultation went well. He said that my x-rays were not nearly as bad as the dentist made them out to be and that only the top 2 wisdom teeth had to be removed.

Luckily for me, he said they could wait until after I have the baby so that I could have all the lovely drugs I wanted to get through the procedure.

The pain came back a few times during the pregnancy and I called for more antibiotics each time to stave it off. By the time my daughter was 4 weeks old, the pain would continue even while I was on amoxicillin.

I finally made an appointment, despite terrible fear of the procedure.

Well, I got it done yesterday. I was scared to death - shaking the whole way. I wanted to be completely out, but the doctor convinced me that I would be more than fine with conscious sedation. He promised that if I couldn't handle it, he would knock me out.

Well, conscious sedation is a BEAUTIFUL thing. I hardly remember anything, and didn't even feel the pinches from the needles! The whole thing took about 30 minutes, but it felt like 5 to me.

I'm still nervous about the healing - scared to death of dry socket, but I'm so glad that I got this procedure done and overwith! It really was not a big deal at all - the only pain I felt was the pinch of the IV going in. :)

Hi
Wow well done you really are brave im currently reading all iv sucess stories i can get my appointment for 4 teeth out with iv sedation is in 3 weeks and im terrified if you dont mind me asking did you know what was going on? Thats what scares me most i dont want to know !!!
emma

Hi
Wow well done you really are brave im currently reading all iv sucess stories i can get my appointment for 4 teeth out with iv sedation is in 3 weeks and im terrified if you dont mind me asking did you know what was going on? Thats what scares me most i dont want to know !!!
emma

I had NO clue! I remember the OS warning me before each shot, but I don't remember feeling a thing.

I remember him saying to me at one point, "Guess what? The first one is out." Which surprised me, because I didn't even know he had started yet. It felt like only 20 seconds later that he said we were all done and he brought my husband in for after-care instruction (even though the IV was out and I was more aware, I don't even remember that part).

This was my first dental ANYTHING in 12 years, and now I feel that I can do ANYTHING with conscious sedation. I would recommend it to anyone!

Back