• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums.

Wisdom tooth extraction trauma+root canal needed

T

toothlessinseattle

Hello,
5 days ago I had to get only 2 wisdom teeth removed. One on right one on left.
There was extreme anxiety for me even getting to the oral surgeon, weeping and wailing, almost didn't make it there and returned to a child-like state.
Cried/whimpered throughout the entire procedure even though it honestly didn't hurt that badly .
Violent bursts of crying for the next few days as well, sort of an emotional release.
Yesterday i did so much researching and think I likely have a dry socket on the right side. (Shooting pains up to my ear/temples when i even breath or think). 10/10 on a pain scale.
Anyways, i called the surgeon and no response until tomorrow probably but my problem today
Is a tooth on that same right side that is needing a root canal.. It's so tender to the touch it feels it could fall out. I believe it's dead and can't afford a root canal so i wanna see about extracting it ASAP before I go ape shit. lol
Would the wisdom teeth need time to heal, or is it possible the root canal tooth is causing complications with healing? I just want it out and figure i might have to wait a week or two but for now cant eat or think about anything but the pain and anxiety of having to go back to the surgeon. Anything helps,
💗

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, toothlessinseattle :welcome:,

so sorry to read about the distress and pain you're going through. Sounds like the visit was very difficult already and then ending up in pain certainly doesn't make things easier. Hope your surgeon will be able to fit you in today and take a look at the extraction site. DS can be treated easily once you saw a dentist and they will surely be able to give you advice with the other tooth as well. If the tenderness in the tooth next to the extraction site occurred after the extraction, it could be, that this is happening (teeth next to the extraction site can sometimes be painful after an extraction).

Btw. I saw your other posts where you mentioned trauma and needing a therapist. It may look like the visit to the dentist actually caused the trouble and made you need a therapist, but those things usually just slumber under the surface and use the next occasion to show up.. sometimes it's dentist, sometimes something different. But it probably always was there and was just being pressed down. I know how difficult this is and if how you may wish you have never opened the wound in the first place, but I believe that with a bit of time you will be glad you did.

All the best wishes:grouphug:

T

toothlessinseattle

thanks for your response,
I'm hoping to find out more today as well..
also regarding the btw. I realize these things were slumbering and that all in all this triggered a lot of release of pent up tears and emotions which eventually I will be grateful for because I no longer have that extra weight to carry.. Thanks for the reminder, pain can be blinding
Much love