• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Wisdom tooth extraction

H

Horizon

Just yesterday I had my 2nd wisdom tooth extracted! The first one was done 18 months ago and was impacted so I had IV sedation while the surgeon removed it. I remember nothing of that procedure at all. The tooth I had removed yesterday was an upper and fully through so this time there was no need for a surgeon, it was a simple extraction by my dentist. I was just as worried though, because I knew I'd be fully awake, with only some local anaesthetic, plus I'm 31 now and a lot of the stuff you read says it's best to get them out while you're a teenager as the roots haven't fully formed. Anyway, I need not have worried...

The dentist gave me 2 injections to numb the area. I've never been bothered by injections in the mouth for some strange (but fortunate) reason. He gave it 5 mins to numb up then began. He said he had to 'check' I was numb, so he had a poke around and asked if I could feel anything. Thankfully i could feel nothing. He then said he had to check a couple of other things, when in reality he began the extraction. Saying he's doing 'checks' must be his way of putting the patient at ease. Well, it worked for me. I guessed when he was on his third 'check' that the tooth was nearly out. It was only slightly uncomfortable for about 2 seconds when it finally came out, but the whole thing was literally over in seconds. I felt very little pressure on the tooth, and only the faintest noise of it working loose. I couldn't believe how easy it was. So... if you're looking at getting a fully erupted tooth out, then really, it can be a walk in the park. Of course, make sure you find a dentist you're totally comfortable with. I was happy with my last practice for years, but sadly my dentist moved to Australia, then I had literally a different dentist every time I visited. I'm now with a well established practice and fingers crossed my dentist has no plans to move!

Best of luck people. This site is a Godsend in information and helping everyone cope with what can be a stressful time.

A

anxiousgirl83

Same thing I thought when I found this site, it s like god sent it to me just in time for my surgery :)
I m having my 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning, wish me luck!!!!!!!

:)

lillyh

lillyh

GOOD LUCK!!!:clover::clover:

carole

carole

Super Moderator
Same thing I thought when I found this site, it s like god sent it to me just in time for my surgery :)
I m having my 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning, wish me luck!!!!!!!

:)
GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

hartsada

hartsada

I just came on tonight because I'm having the same surgery in 2 weeks. I'm petrified.....been putting off for 1 year. When I came on....you post was the one I came too. I have scheduled and canceled several times during this time. I have been consumed by this fear and after reading yours, I feel some relief. I'm still scared and have questions for you. Mine too is fully out....no nerves....cracked and needs to come out. I hope I can keep this date and finally do this. As of this date....no pain.....minor and no infection. I just need to do this and I think God sent me to your post. Thanks and any information will help.....

T

tabatha7

Hartsada... I hope you get that tooth out soon. I know it is causing you a lot of stress. Did you check on getting something for your nerves? (xanax, valium, ect..) It will help. As long as you are numbed up good you will be ok.

B

banditsmom

Horizon, thank you for this post. I am getting an upper molar out that is broken. I am just having local and taking a Xanax prior to the appointment. I had an extraction by the same OS for a pre molar and it was just as easy as you described. When I tell people I'm getting the molar (not wisdom) pulled everyone acts like I'm crazy for not going to sleep. So I've been second guessing myself. Your post helps me a lot

hartsada

hartsada

I have Ativan and I'm still scared. I'm going to call dentist tomorrow just to be reassured. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this but I have to now. I have no pain or abscess but I'm sure its next...I'm working with someone to get me through this :cry::cry:. Thanks....

Hartsada... I hope you get that tooth out soon. I know it is causing you a lot of stress. Did you check on getting something for your nerves? (xanax, valium, ect..) It will help. As long as you are numbed up good you will be ok.

T

tabatha7

Hartsada, I'm going to send you a private message.