• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth extraction

H

Horizon

Just yesterday I had my 2nd wisdom tooth extracted! The first one was done 18 months ago and was impacted so I had IV sedation while the surgeon removed it. I remember nothing of that procedure at all. The tooth I had removed yesterday was an upper and fully through so this time there was no need for a surgeon, it was a simple extraction by my dentist. I was just as worried though, because I knew I'd be fully awake, with only some local anaesthetic, plus I'm 31 now and a lot of the stuff you read says it's best to get them out while you're a teenager as the roots haven't fully formed. Anyway, I need not have worried...

The dentist gave me 2 injections to numb the area. I've never been bothered by injections in the mouth for some strange (but fortunate) reason. He gave it 5 mins to numb up then began. He said he had to 'check' I was numb, so he had a poke around and asked if I could feel anything. Thankfully i could feel nothing. He then said he had to check a couple of other things, when in reality he began the extraction. Saying he's doing 'checks' must be his way of putting the patient at ease. Well, it worked for me. I guessed when he was on his third 'check' that the tooth was nearly out. It was only slightly uncomfortable for about 2 seconds when it finally came out, but the whole thing was literally over in seconds. I felt very little pressure on the tooth, and only the faintest noise of it working loose. I couldn't believe how easy it was. So... if you're looking at getting a fully erupted tooth out, then really, it can be a walk in the park. Of course, make sure you find a dentist you're totally comfortable with. I was happy with my last practice for years, but sadly my dentist moved to Australia, then I had literally a different dentist every time I visited. I'm now with a well established practice and fingers crossed my dentist has no plans to move!

Best of luck people. This site is a Godsend in information and helping everyone cope with what can be a stressful time.

Same thing I thought when I found this site, it s like god sent it to me just in time for my surgery :)
I m having my 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning, wish me luck!!!!!!!

:)

GOOD LUCK!!!:clover::clover:

Same thing I thought when I found this site, it s like god sent it to me just in time for my surgery :)
I m having my 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning, wish me luck!!!!!!!

:)

GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

I just came on tonight because I'm having the same surgery in 2 weeks. I'm petrified.....been putting off for 1 year. When I came on....you post was the one I came too. I have scheduled and canceled several times during this time. I have been consumed by this fear and after reading yours, I feel some relief. I'm still scared and have questions for you. Mine too is fully out....no nerves....cracked and needs to come out. I hope I can keep this date and finally do this. As of this date....no pain.....minor and no infection. I just need to do this and I think God sent me to your post. Thanks and any information will help.....

Hartsada... I hope you get that tooth out soon. I know it is causing you a lot of stress. Did you check on getting something for your nerves? (xanax, valium, ect..) It will help. As long as you are numbed up good you will be ok.

Horizon, thank you for this post. I am getting an upper molar out that is broken. I am just having local and taking a Xanax prior to the appointment. I had an extraction by the same OS for a pre molar and it was just as easy as you described. When I tell people I'm getting the molar (not wisdom) pulled everyone acts like I'm crazy for not going to sleep. So I've been second guessing myself. Your post helps me a lot

I have Ativan and I'm still scared. I'm going to call dentist tomorrow just to be reassured. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this but I have to now. I have no pain or abscess but I'm sure its next...I'm working with someone to get me through this :cry::cry:. Thanks....

Hartsada... I hope you get that tooth out soon. I know it is causing you a lot of stress. Did you check on getting something for your nerves? (xanax, valium, ect..) It will help. As long as you are numbed up good you will be ok.

Hartsada, I'm going to send you a private message.

Back