• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom tooth heat sensitivity after filling

J

JoolsMH

2 weeks ago i had a deep filling in my lower wisdom tooth. My dentist said it may need extracting at some stage. After the filling i had a lot of jaw pain for about aweek so took painkillers. Over the last few days i have noticed increased sensitivity to heat and a little bit to cold. There is no pain on biting which there was before. There is occasional pain if i catch it on my top tooth. In the meantime another tooth broke and i had it filled today. I mentioned the wisdom tooth and the dentist didn't seem too concerned. Just said come back if it gets worse or becomes constant. Tonight it seems worse but i don't know if it because i am focussing on it or it is partly due to straining my jaw again. The sensitivity may have been there longer than i realised but i was taking the pain relief.I am on holiday next week and am terrified i will be away and get severe toothache with no immediate treatment available. My fear isn't so much going to the dentist but that of pain ie toothache or anaesthetic not working properly. As i only went today i feel like i would be wasting the dentists time. Does sensivity suddenly get worse or is it gradual? should i wait and hope for the best. Might not even get an appointment this week

Generally if the pain doesn't linger too long, then it's going to settle down OK. I'd leave it for a bit.

It definitly feels worse today. Keep getting a burning sensation up the side of my jaw a few minutes afer eating or sometimetimes for no reason it lasts a minute or 2. Also drinks only have to be warm and i get the same sensation spreading from my tooth across my lower jaw. Lasts about 30 seconds then fades. It isn't unbaerable but i am worried that it will get bad while i am away. If i know it is unlikely to worsen that is ok i can just take painkillers but they don't stop it completely.I don't want to waste my dentists time unecessarily. He will think i am being silly when i only spoke to him about it early yesterday!

I wouldn't think you were wasting my time if you told me it was getting worse. It only takes a couple of minutes to check it out.

Back