• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth operation today D:

Did your bottom left wisdom tooth come in fully, or was it partially buried under your gums? It’s a good thing that you have the right side of your mouth to chew solid food, though. I’m dreading the prospect of having to go on a soft diet, and the more I think about the surgery the more I freak out.

Hope your feeling better now.

Dave:)

it came through fully and then decayed right down, and don't freak out lol, I am now thinking "what on earth was I worried about!" I only take pain killers before bed now, i find that it is better to keep the sockets clean and the pain is less if I do so, but it will be a week tomorrow amazingly I am just glad it is nearly over now, I know that when it has healed over completely it will be the end of it :). I am just happy to be starting my final year of uni with this behind me and looking forward to being an even bigger foodie than normal.

Hi amy2311,

i'm glad to hear the good news :)
Your thread is helping me alot...last Friday I was informed that my one single wisdom tooth must OUT..Although I will also have 4 fillings in the front ( including 1 RCT ), the wizzie-extraction frightened me much more...:scared:

So thanks for posting,
best wishes

victorine

I've been thinking, would it really be better to be under IV sedation/GA during the surgery? Now that I've thought about it a bit more, the idea of having people cut and drill into my mouth as I lie unconscious and helpless doesn't jive with me. Plus, I've read reports saying that surgeons tend to be rougher when dealing with unconscious patients because they don't have to worry about making him/her uncomfortable.

I asked my surgeon to be gentle and the nurse made sure of it, and I decided to post good things here because I want people to learn that is often only the "horror" stories that most people hear about, I had a friend who had a really big nightmare with hers best thing is if she were living in the UK should wouldn't have had it done (she's French) but that is besides the point, part of the reason mine was a success is because of the medical staff, firstly my dentist, next the surgeon, the nurse and the anesthetist, and also my GP who gave me valium to calm me down. They all put me at ease and helped me, and my dentist said "it'll be alright you'll be asleep and awake before you know it and it feels pretty good actually because you can be quite high when you come round and have a face that feels like it doesn't exist" (imagine it being said in a cheerful Irish accent)

Hi Amy

I am really chuffed that things are going so well for you, and I bet you are really proud to have gotten through it all. Well done :)

And dentalwise, I think that it must be easier for a surgeon to 'work' on someone if they are sedated because there is no anxiousness or resistance to the treatment they are undergoing. I honestly don't think it would make them be rougher, just that they would do what they need to in order to get the job done.

I liked having the control handed over for those few minutes and I felt glad when it was over (I cried a little) but I feel that a dead weight has been lifted off of me, I let this get me down way too much and effectively ruined my summer holiday. However I can look forward to a year of Uni with less absence that last year (1 month off in total due to infections), I let my wisdom teeth ruin a good part of my year from Feb to last week if they are a problem get it done as once you've healed up you will wonder WHY you waited and put up with it for so long as it is the easiest thing I've done in a while. :jump::grin::grin::grin::jump:

Thanks Kim and amy2311 for your comments. I guess one of the main reasons for my fears is that I'm not completely convinced that having the surgery to remove my wisdom teeth is the right thing to do, because I'm concerned that I won't heal properly from the surgical trauma and thus end up worse off.

Thanks Kim and amy2311 for your comments. I guess one of the main reasons for my fears is that I'm not completely convinced that having the surgery to remove my wisdom teeth is the right thing to do, because I'm concerned that I won't heal properly from the surgical trauma and thus end up worse off.

As of today, some 11 days after the extraction I can safely tell you that I have no pain, the sockets are near enough healed.

That's good to hear. I hope the good recovery continues.

Both of the wisdom teeth in my lower jaw are impacted though, so surgery for me will be more invasive and traumatic. Plus, I'll be 33 soon, and recovery for old people like me takes longer and is more troublesome.

Plus, I'll be 33 soon, and recovery for old people like me takes longer and is more troublesome.

not necessarily. i'm 31 and had three teeth extracted (2 being wizzies), along with a small section of jawbone removed, and my recovery time was totally non traumatic and short. it all depends on the individual.

Well, let's hope I turn out to be one of the lucky ones. :(

Back