• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth probs

A

annebunton

I developed jaw pain 2 months ago, dentist said nothing wrong it got worse my dentist not very amicable eventually gave me antibiotics. I am almost sure it’s my wisdom tooth but have a heavily filled tooth 2 up so that seems to hurt too. After 2 months of not being treated properly I have now got dental phobia and other issues going on I have finally got appointment to have wisdom tooth out under sedation I am beyond scared I have panic anxiety I have lost over a stone in weight. Can I get myself to the dentist to have this done. Any ideas?

Hi @annebunton, I wasn't sure from your post what exactly it is that you're scared of. Is it the sedation? Are you worried about panicking? Or are you worried about meeting a new dentist and what they will be like?

IV sedation (if that's what has been suggested) is really good if you're panicky and anxious - you can find out more here:

We've also got a page with general tips that you can pick and choose from here:

Hi thanks for that I have been to dentist today they have talked me thro the sedation etc I’m happier with that I’m just concerned they might have the wrong tooth as im not sure where the pain is coming from. Can wisdom teeth refer pain to the next two along? I’m very worried I don’t want to make situation worse x

Hi glad to hear they were able to talk you through the sedation and that you're feeling better about it ?. Did you share your concern about the other tooth with them? If so, what did they say?

Yes I did they banged on all my teeth near it and none of them really hurt but she sed there was slight swelling at the gum of the wisdom tooth and scarring so I can only assume it’s the right one she also diagnosed me with TMJ. I hope it will all end wen I have it extracted x

Fingers crossed you'll be out of pain soon ?! Do you know when your appointment is going to be?

Yes I’m supposed to go next weds 12 January but I’m so consumed with fear I’m not sure I can do it I need strength from somewhere x

@annebunton have you come across these stories:

They are quite inspirational and can be a great source of strength. Focus on the relief you will feel afterwards ?. It sounds as if the wisdom tooth is the main culprit, if the gum around it looks obviously inflamed. Did they look at an x-ray of the other tooth that you're worried about?

Yes they did and tapped on them too but I’m sure I have another problem with a filled tooth nearby and 2 teeth out at once is just not happening thanks x

Back