• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth questions

• Thread starter TheMedicHypochondriac
  • Start date
T

TheMedicHypochondriac

So like many of you I am a massive hypochondriac. Not so much when it comes to the body because I’m in the field of medicine, but I’ll admit I don’t have a clue when it comes to teeth.

So I had my wisdom teeth extracted and I’m currently on hour 96ish give or take. All 4, top 2 we’re simple extractions and the bottom two were bony impacted. Went under for it, came out with minimal pain just a lot of bleeding for the first 24 hours.

Now at this point my stitches are starting to dissolve and I’m beginning to get some big (looking deep) holes where my bottom 2 wisdom teeth were. They feel very dry like when you have cotton mouth but not painful. So when can I stop worrying about the risk of getting dry socket which I’m absolutely terrified about?

I’m supposed to go on vacation on day 5 and go out and drink/eat. Will I be able to without risk?

Should I be worried about the holes? I’ve been rinsing with salt water gently, no straws and I’m not a smoker. The first 72 hours were completely liquid shakes and I’m now starting to get back on solid food. Can I chew on my molars yet? I have minimal pain just a stiff jaw.

My dentist did an awesome job and was very attentive but seems to be just telling me everything is fine when I ask a question. Thanks in advance!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Medichypochodriac,

How are you doing today? better at all? Hope things are getting a little better. I"ve not had dry socket myself but from reading on here it seems you might be over the biggest hump as far as chance to develop dry socket but sure somene could answer that better. Just wanted to see how you were and hope you have a great vacation with minimal discomfort if not any!! :)

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, as krlovesherkids777 suggests, you should be out of danger now. Dry socket occurs within the first 4 days and the main symptom is excruciating pain so if you are not in pain then you do not have it. If you feel like being able to start with solid food than try it out. Your mouth will tell you what is fine and what isn't. 5 days sound like a good time to start getting back to chewing normal food on your molars.