• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removal lower left at nhs hospital in London

L

Ladywriter1968

I need some advice and just joined this site.

my dentist referred me to hospital to have my lower left wisdom tooth removed, its compacted or impacted, not sure of word and has not come through at all, but causing pain from my gum to my ear, but its not constant pain, some times like a poking pain.

After seeing dentist at hospital he has now said for me to go back to my own dentist first to check that its not a leaky filling, but my own dentist already said my fillings were fine, thats why he refer me to hospital to have it removed under sedation as I am nervous.

I feel I am being messed about by the hospital, he is making me a thing you put in your mouth to stop teeth grinding, but I dont see what good this will do. He told me to put hot and cold on that side of face for a week and then take pain killers.

He said I should have my back filling removed and re-filled, I told him I am already nervous even with that yet he is telling me to go thru all of this first. Then if after having it re filled the pain goes its not my wisdom tooth.

He told me also the risks of removal as its right on the nerve. How I could end up with perm numb lip etc. But I had the others out years ago and all was fine, its just this one lower on the left side that is still there. I am 43 years old now as well.

Before you ask, why was it not removed years ago with others, answer, they was all removed separate and that was was not hurting then so was left.

I feel I am caught between the devil and deep blue see here, I feel I am being fobbed off to try this and try that. Plus the waiting list for removal of teeth on nhs London hospitals is long enough as it is. Its an 8wk wait just for the 3D Xray, I had the normal Xrays done but does not show where about the nerve lies on the tooth.

What do you think?

Please Help Some One Need Advice Here!!! Hospital are stalling on my wisdom tooth removal

Hospital seem to be stalling on the removal on my wisdom tooth. As per referred by my dentist. Upon first appointment at hospital in London the oral surgeon or dentist there said, I should try these other things first.
My wisdom tooth is impacted/compacted under the gum in upright position right next to other tooth Molar with the filling in. It is right by the nerve but they dont know whether nerve of what side of tooth its at yet until have this 3D Xray which 8wk wait.

This is what he told me to do first.

1) hot and cold on mouth for a week
2) take diclofenics for a week (when already told him I cant take them every day) I only take occasionally when my back pain starts up
3) was offered Ibuprofen but definitely cant take those they make me ill
4) then go back to my own dentist and get him to refill my back tooth of in case of leaky filling
5) he said he would make me this bite thing to put in my mouth in case I grind in my sleep to try this out to
6) if still pain after trying all of above then its my wisdom tooth since all other options it wasn't

First, all pain killers will do is numb it, it wont remove the problem will it?

When I arrived there he felt my face and tapped my teeth. I told him the pain goes from gum at back to my ear. But the pain is not constant all the time.

I also explained to him that I am nervous even on having a large filling yet he still told me to see my dentist to have a tooth re-filled. When my dentist dont put people under, if he did he would not have sent me to hospital to have it done would he... When it may not even need it. He said if it was a filling I could end up having all that pain of having the wisdom tooth it out for nothing. Since I was sedated when had others out if I am to with this one I wont feel nothing.

He also warned me about the nerve damage of having it removed as its right on the nerve, they had a normal Xray there of it, but to have the 3D imaging one he told me is an 8wk wait for a start.

And if the nerve is damaged how I can end up with perm numbness one side of lips and face. but when had other bottom out I was fine after pain went. I am 43 years old now and know tooth gets harder. Had others out years ago. This was wasnt a bother so was left in.

Its the lower left completely under the gum.

I thought I would just go in and have it out under sedation as I did with others years ago at dentist.

This is an NHS hospital in London as well. They have training students there to.

Are they just trying to put off doing the operation or what?

Bottom left Wisdom Tooth Removal compacted Impacted under gum

Have put up thread already but just getting use to this site.

Was refer to hosp via dentist to have wisdom tooth removal. As own dentist said to have under sedation as I am nervous,

Its lower left and under the gum completely causing pain on and off, next to molar which has filling in it.

Upon being seen at hosp he has told me to try all these things first before having it removed. Which to my dismay is very time consuming and cant see what good it is.

Use hot and cold on face for a week.
Take Diclofenics for a week when already told him I cant take them every day as upset my tummy bad, he offered ibuprofen but I cant take those much either. I only take Diclofenics when my back hurts really bad which is one or two days of taking them. Even with bad back pain I cant take meds for a week.

Plus he is making me this bite thing to put bottom of my mouth when I go to bed as he think it could be tooth grinding.

Then he told me to go back to own dentist and have my back tooth re-filled just in case of a leaky filling first. if that dont work then it must be the tooth wisdom.

I told him I am nervous even having a filling as its a back tooth big one and yet he still said have it refilled.

he said I could end up having wisdom tooth out for nothing and could be a filling.

The 3D Xray is 8wk wait on nhs hospital London. Thats before even having it removed. They had normal Xray of tooth which is between the nerve and bone he said. But does not show where the nerve lies.

He also warned me of the numb lip after if nerve is caught etc.

I had all other 3 out years ago but separately. This one was left then as was ok. Other was under gums to and I was fine after.

This one is lower left under gum completely next to other tooth in upright position but I feel pain from gum to ear, like a sharp pain and dull ache. But not constant. When I have been out in cold air I dont get a sudden pain which tells me cant be leaky filling then, plus own dentist said fillings are fine.

So between the options of
1. A new filling
2. Teeth grinding
3. Hot and colds on that side
4. Meds
5. This grinder thing
6. Wisdom tooth

Seems to me they dont know basically and just playing guessing games.

Do you think the hospital is stalling removal of it?

Re: Bottom left Wisdom Tooth Removal compacted Impacted under gum

I would find another dentist, and get another opinion. :)

Re: Please Help Some One Need Advice Here!!! Hospital are stalling on my wisdom tooth removal

I answered your other thread, if the hospital were sure it was your wisdom tooth they would have arranged to remove it. I would get another dentist, and get another opinion. :)

Re: Please Help Some One Need Advice Here!!! Hospital are stalling on my wisdom tooth removal

I answered your other thread, if the hospital were sure it was your wisdom tooth they would have arranged to remove it. I would get another dentist, and get another opinion. :)

I would go with Carole on this one - I had seen 2 dentists and was going to go along with the 2nd one, until yesterday when I got advice and info on here. Outcome is that I am now going to see a 3rd dentist on Friday, and hopefully will find someone who will let me know EXACTLY what my situation is and help me go forward from a nightmare to something that seems no worse than a bad dream:thumbsup:

OMG is that my first positive I've posted with all my bits and bobs that I have put on here??

I would go with Carole on this one - I had seen 2 dentists and was going to go along with the 2nd one, until yesterday when I got advice and info on here. Outcome is that I am now going to see a 3rd dentist on Friday, and hopefully will find someone who will let me know EXACTLY what my situation is and help me go forward from a nightmare to something that seems no worse than a bad dream:thumbsup:

OMG is that my first positive I've posted with all my bits and bobs that I have put on here??
Hi there, just getting used to this site.

So what is your story actually then?

I think I just figured out how to do a link, sorry Ladywriter1968 but if I have done this right, this is Kimbo's thread, this is her story.

Yep just tried it, :jump: yes this is Kims story, enjoy.

Wisdom Tooth further news to Tell

I previously post up thread of my wisdom tooth lower left hurting etc, under the gum compacted. Well today I noticed at the back where my molar is there is a slight crack in the gum but right again the molar, I can see very slightly my wisdom tooth inside the gum very slight crack and it looks like its right up against the other tooth to.

To add as well I have these blister things now around my gums which are sore and uncomfortable. And near my back molar as well.

Its like the wisdom is trying to force its way thru the gum.

What do you think?