• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth Removal - Not Bad At All!

C

Cuspid

Hi Everyone!

This board was extremely helpful and comforting while I was waiting for my appointment at the Oral Surgeon's. I was nervous about having an upper (non-impacted) wisdom tooth removed and my mind was far too creative.

It was nothing!!! I decided to decline any medication except for Novocaine. The surgeon was wonderful (and pretty adorable). He applied lidocaine to deaden area before injections. I believe there were only two injections. He then left the room and I nervously chatted with the nurse who reassured me that he could pull wisdom teeth in his sleep. The only problem I ran into was that the Novocaine wore off quickly due to the fact that I requested no epi in the shot. (My heart tends to race a bit so I always ask for a shot without the stuff.) However, he checked to see if I was numb before proceeding. He then injected a bit more to make sure I was totally frozen. The only weird part was the pressure. Within a few moments, the tooth was gone! No stitches, no antibiotics needed. He gave me a set of aftercare instructions and a piece of gauze was placed into site to help with bleeding. I bleed for about twenty minutes, spit the gauze out and treated myself to a pudding cup. The area was sore but not horrible. I found the next couple of days a bit uncomfortable, but salt water rinses and one 5mg. Pain medication helped make things so much better. My face didn't swell at all and I am one happy girl! Please don't worry - it's not bad at all! Just remember that a shot without epi will not last long and make sure the dentist tests that you're numb before the extraction.
Thanks again everyone!!
Hugs,
Cuspid

Good for you! :jump:
I need to get all of mine pulled out but i'm not in the filling face...your story certainly makes me feel better.

well done you xx Lm so happy for you wish my turn (non wisdom ) was over and done with so l could post happy things here best wishes