• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removal sedation.

L

Loobyloo168

I am terrified of the dentist, the metal implements they use just make me feel awful and the air they blow in your mouth makes me gag.

I had a check up today and have been rebooked in next week to have sedation for my impacted tooth and possibly the one next to it taken out.

I was wondering if whilst under sedation do you dream ? Like when having a general anaesthetic ?

I'm not very good with pain killers they either don work or make me sick so I fear that sedation won't work on me either. The dentists said she also used relaxation therapy to get me in the zone but as I have a very active mind I fear I won't be able to concentrate long enough for me to relax.

Any advice particularly about dreaming will be greatly appreciated.

You don't dream under sedation because you aren't asleep. I've been sedated twice, once for a clean and once more deeply to remove all 4 wisdom teeth. The sedation feels like you dissapeared out of time. One minute they are injecting the stuff and the next minute, hours have passed by and youre done. I really loved my IV experience, its like the dental work happened to my teeth but not to me! While I was coming round, I apparently demanded more sedation and couldn't understand how it could possibly be over when 'we hadn't even started'. I have brief flashes of memory from the lighter seadtion, maybe 10 seconds from the 2.5 hour experience. I remember the dentist adjusting something in my mouth (i remember the sensation but not any images) but I didn't care at all. The second deeper sedation I remember nothing until in the recoverey room.

As a side note I would love to know what a sedated person is like from the dentists perspective. apparently under sedation we can talk and respond to questions but just have no memories but its hard to imagine how we can be coherent when we have no memory of the whole time.

Last edited: