• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom tooth removal under sedation

F

frightened

I am PETRIFIED. :cry:
after 18 months of constant dental problems and being seriosly dental phobic, I am having 1 wisdom tooth and the tooth in front out tomorrow under conscious sedation.
I am so scared that I am going to die-or wake up screaming in agony (both have abcesses on them) or freak out so badly that I run from the dentist covered in blood with my teeth hanging out.
I have been taking 2 different anti-biotics-painkillers sometimes up to 40 tablets a day for 13 days.
I am terrified.
when i went into the surgery 2 days ago-the dentsist tried to clean out the pus etc from the cavity and I just freaked. He slammed down his tools and said either 'I wanted his help or I DIDNT' IN a really horrible way. i was then crying and hysterical. :scared:
i SUFFER FROM SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS IN THE DENTISTS CHAIR (AND FLYING FUNNILY ENOUGH)
the wisdom tooth is so severely impacted,\and the one in front has a really bad abcess. I do not know what to do with myself.
has anyone else had a similar experience?
everyone thinks I am just making a big fuss and should 'have all my teeth out'
(I know i have already had 2 sedations-but I came round in the last one and they had to get 2 more members of staff in to help with the extraction, which according to my dentsist was the worst and most difficult he has ever done.
doest make me feel too good.
i am counting the minutes until tomorrow 21st jan @16-15 with the deepest fear and trepidation I have ever felt.
so sorry to be moaning
hope someone can help :cry:
terrified, dorset, UK

Heya!! I had this done about 6 years ago. It was excellent. I had all 4 of mine taken out and 2 of which were impacted and infected. Doc gave me some meds and I drifted off but could still hear them in the background. I did wake up enough to go to the restroom in the middle of the procedure and went right back to the chair and drifted right back off again. The doc said I was the first one who ever did that to him. It was kinda funny. Anyways, afterwards I had NO PAIN AT ALL!!! It was wonderful!!! I never even had to take a motrin. In fact once we left there I went home and laid down for about another hour then went shopping. Your going to be soooo relieved when this is done and you won't remember anything (unless you have to pee...you might remember that...might..lol) Did they give you anything to take beforehand? Anyway, you are going to feel so much better tommorrow but don't forget to follow doc's aftercare directions!!! Take care , Traci

Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you!!! :hug2:

Just wondering How it went yesterday...hope your doing ok...

HI there blue angelz and everyone
thanks you so so very much for all your kind thoughts which helped to get mr though yeasterday.
:)
they were SO kind at the dentists- the dental surgeon talked though the whole procedure with me and most of all was a smiley person with a good sense of humour!
I was 'conscious threoughout' much as you descibre-apparently I kept asking for more sedation! :o
but apart from MINOR uncomfortableness, I didnt suffer or freak out
the dental nurse let me hold their hand throughout which was so kind- am just about to send a bouquet of flowers through to the surgery.
i know I was thanking!!!! :XXLhug: :-* :innocent: :cloud9:
EVERYONE on the way out!
I was so relieved it was over
no bruising- a different sort of pain now- a healing pain rather than a throbbing put my head through a wall pain.
:jump:
Thanks to all of you for hearing me out and Not laughing at or dismissing my fears
I fI can help anyone else in a similar position I gladly will answer any Questions
Much love to all of you who have taken the time to help me with my fears
many many thanks
Fiona :respect: