• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removal without IV?

B

Benito999

I’ll try to keep this short. I’m 39. When I was 15, I had a traumatic experience with an extraction. The dentist gave up half way through and kicked me out of his office. It wasn’t in USA. It was where I grew up. I walked around in search of another dentist and finally found one who had four guys hold me down while he yanked my tooth out. I had another tooth extracted in 2013 hereIn the states and it was a great experience but I was given IV. Didn’t feel a thing. It was a joyride. So anyone hear freaking out about it getting an IV worry not. It’s a cakewalk.

Now I’m getting my wisdom tooth extracted on Thursday. The dentist said I don’t need IV. Only local. He prescribed me Valium and told me to take it an hour before. I haven’t ever been awake during an extraction after 1995. I’m freaking out. I have severe anxiety and claustrophobia. What if I lose my breath during the procedure? Can I sit up? What if I get a panic attack? Etc etc. I’m also getting two fillings and deep cleaning along with this extraction. Will Valium be enough?
Anyone with with the same anxiety who had an extraction “WITHOUT I.V. DRIP” I really wanna know your experience.

Much appreciated! ?

Hi Benito999,

sorry to read about your traumatic experience in the past. I see how the thought of having an extraction without IV brings a lot of anxiety.
Now I could tell you that I had all four wisdom teeth out without IV and it was quick and fine, but it won't be much of a help for you because this is about YOUR past experience, your anxiety and what you need to cope.
I am surprised that your dentist claimed you didn't need IV. Sedation is about preferences and you are the only person who can decide whether you feel able to cope with a procedure without it or not. I am also surprised that you are getting fillings and deep cleaning too on that day (if I understood it right?). Usually taking things slowly at your own pace would be the way to go. Did you take Valium before and if so, how was your experience with that?

To your questions. I suppose the valium will calm you down at least a bit so you certainly won't be freaking out as much as you are right now. For any anxiety or worries that might arise, this is about working as a team with your dentist and letting them know how you are. There is no reason not to sit up for a moment if you feel you need a break. With panic attacks it's mostly about not letting it come so far and get a breather before the anxiety gets to a certain point. That means rather earlier than later. I had visits that required me to get out of the char several times during a treatment to keep my anxiety at bay. The best thing is to agree on a stop signal with your dentist and to test it few times even if you do not need it. Actually experiencing that your dentist stops when you raise your hand can give you a lot of security.

How is your dentist? Do you feel comfortable there? Do they know about your anxiety, claustrophobia and past experiences? And do you actually want to have the teeth out in this way or would prefer to get IV? I would hate it if they would press you into something you do not feel comfortable with.

All the best wishes

Benito9999,

First off I'm very sorry you had that traumatic experience with the first extraction and can totally see why you would go with sedation for your next after that. That is really traumatic..

I'm really glad you had a good experience with sedation and getting it pulled out that way. I 100% agree with everything @Enarete said.. I would highly consider your needs and comfort level . Your needs come first! Sometimes sedation makes that huge difference in comfort. If you do decide to go without the Iv ,dentists should be able to do this pain free with local , you want to make sure like @Enarete says you know they will respect your stop sign. Do they know the story of the first extraction you went through? Sometimes dentists or other health care providers will generalize and lump everyone into same , like think everyone will be ok with this for certain types and not really consider the background of the individuals past experiences.

I really hope ultimately you do what is comfortable with you and your dentist is gentle and kind to you!.. I've had Lorazepam which is similar to valium and that just chills me out a little which is nice. Nowadays with all the pain relief and good techniques you can be likely to have painfree extractions. I would definately have another talk and ask all these questions to your dentist before the procedure so you feel more at ease whatever you do.

:grouphug:

krlovesherkids777 and Enarete:

Thanks for the kind advice. I decided to go with the local. No IV. The dentist was really nice and made me sit whenever I needed to catch my breath and was very understanding. I had my wisdom tooth extracted and had three fillings and deep cleaning. Thanks for the support.

So glad to hear this and you sound really at peace with everything and that they went at your pace and gave you time needed for space . This is great! Hope you can get some rest and good recovery! Really glad to hear!

Well done, Benito! :jump::jump::jump:Give yourself a pat on the back! So glad all went well.