• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removal

S

Stephy89

My bottom left wisdom tooth has partially erupted (I mean only a tiny bit of tooth is visible.) The wisdom tooth above it is fully erupted and healthy, but it's rubbing against the gum of the partially erupted one causing the gum to become swollen and painful. The dentist has shaved that tooth down and has said I will have to have it removed as it is damaging my jaw bone. I also need the partially erupted one removed too as bacteria and food are getting into the gum causing infections. I'm currently taking antibiotics for the 3rd time in just 6 weeks. I've been following all advice eg. Rinsing with salt water several times a day, using corspdyl mouth wash, eating on the opposite side etc but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I've been referrred to the hospital to have the teeth out but I'm not sure I can wait that long :( is there any way I can push for an urgent referral? Also, anyone who has experienced anything similar, how is the recovery from this? Very nervous here.

Ps. The partially erupted tooth is sat right on the main nerve in my jaw, making it a tricky procedure.

Hi Stephy,

sadly I can't help you with any advice about the referral, but I can serve you with my own experience with recovery after a wisdom teeth removal: it was a breeze. Over the counter painkillers will take care of any post treatment pain, ice packs will prevent swelling and after few days you should be fine. Your dentist/surgeon should provide you with some advice about aftercare and you can also find some in the articles here on the site.
Lower wisdom teeth often sit on the nerve and an experienced surgeon will know how to take care of it.

All the best wishes

Thank you, that has helped me to relax a bit. Was your wisdom tooth impacted?

Yes. I had all 4 out at once, the lower ones were partially impacted. I can‘t remember about the upper though just remember it was the quickest procedure I ever had done and I carefully ate pizza with my friend on the same evening. However the anxiety before the procedure was one of the worst I ever had.

Are you in The UK? I have decay under gumline on my bottom wisdom tooth. I have been referred to Hospital to have it removed , same as in your case the root is in the nerve canal what carries hight risk of nerve damage. I have been waiting about 7 weeks for my initial consultation although dentist tried to make the referral urgent due to pain and infection but they didn't accept it. I am having the tooth removed in 12 days. I had 3d scan and it takes up to 3 weeks for the report . Good luck

I can also chime in on the wisdom teeth removal recovery. I had all four out at once, and all four were impacted. The recovery wasn't too bad at all. I did have to be on a soft foods diet for about four days, since I had stitches and all four at once. I just took over the counter pain meds and used ice packs. I felt good within a week. I was 18 at the time. My lower wisdon teeth were also sitting on the nerve, but there were no complications.

I just had a lower 2nd molar extracted three weeks ago, and it also was a fairly easy recovery.

I will add, in complete disclosure, that I did get dry socket on my lower wisdom teeth extractions, BUT that was 20 years ago and my oral surgeon had sent me home with a water pick and said to keep the sites clean. That was the extent of the after care instructions, so I rinsed too early and dislodged the blood clot. I had ZERO issues with dry socket with my lower molar extraction.