• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth removed: a walk in the park

M

mca

A couple of months ago, at age 34, my upper right wisdom tooth started to come out. I searched online and read about a lot of painful experiences and possible complications, including fracturing the jaw, growing infections and possibly mouth tumors. It was around Xmas and the dentist was busy. I had 3-4 long weeks to worry before the surgery. The day of the surgery I tried to negotiate, like "can we wait and see what happens?"
No way, I had to seat on the chair and face my destiny. Got the anesthesia shot and...I didn't feel anything else. At some point I noticed the doctor was pulling, I thought it was preparing for something really painful. But then I heard him asking for the sewing string, and few minutes later it was done.
I could not believe my self. I felt absolutely nothing, the all thing lasted 10-15 minutes. I was so relieved that I literally started to shake. I had some very mild pain when the anesthesia went down, few hours later. Nothing bad, I was able to take a nap, and it was gone. In a couple of days the only remainder of surgery were the stitches, which were removed 10 days later.
The entire process was harmless, I didn't need any antibiotic, nor painkiller. Just some mouth washer for few days.
Well, I wish the same luck to all of you.

I have a similar operation due in two weeks. I´m starting to freak out. It´s weird, because I was never really afraid of dentists - not that I liked it, but I never panicked either. I don´t know if it is linked to it being something more serious than cavity or the fact that I am really afraid of pain, but I find it really discouraging. I´m reading your post over and over in the hope that it gives me some strength, I am mostly bummed over my sensitivity, like I am ashamed of being so scared :(

Back