• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removed with oral sedation

W

weeble123

Well I didn't think I would be back here posting my success story but I am so proud to be doing it!!!

I have needed my wisdom tooth and the adjoining tooth removed for some years now and have suffered several crippling infections as a result of ignoring it. It even got to the point where I would save antibiotics which were prescribed for other conditions for my next upcoming infection, and I considered buying them from abroad. Anything but go to the dentist and resolve my problem. I became obsessed with other peoples teeth and how nice and healthy they were, regarding theses people as lucky they could visit the dentist when for me that wasn't an option. My 'master' plan was to hope they all rotted away and fell out while I self treated the infections. I neglected my dental hygiene as a result feeling there was no point because I was going to loose all my teeth anyway. In turn this affected my self esteem, while my phobia has been a controlling factor in mild depression I have suffered over the last few years.

I remembered a time I actually enjoyed visiting the dentist! (yes enjoyed I kid you not). As a child I have a lovely gentle lady who used to treat me and it was only when she retired my phobia began to develop. I saw two very unsympathetic emergency dentists in succession who provided me with traumatic and painful experiences to fuel my fear. The first extracted a tooth which was not numbed properly and did not stop when I tried to tell him I still felt pain, then gave me no aftercare advice so when the numbing wore off I was not prepared for the pain and soreness. The second extracted two teeth and performed a root canal in one sitting for which I was not properly numbed, and when I returned a week later (after suffering a terrible bout of dry socket) I was scolded for causing the infection myself. The final straw was when I visited his wife, the hygienist, who made me feel humiliated and ashamed that my teeth should be in such a state.

It was the memory that the dentist could also be not so bad and the need to take control of my fears that finally got me in that chair. That and a lot of careful preparation. I have found a very supportive dentist who was prepared to go at my pace and was very encouraging, never once making me feel I was out of control. I think that was the key which gave me my final push, finding someone I can truly trust and who took my fears seriously. That and I told anyone and everyone who would listen and gathered as much support as I could. This site provided a valuable resource of advice and support and I thank all those who contributed their kind and helpful comments.

I took 10mg of diazepam and hour before treatment. I had heard that it would make me feel quite :hic::hic: but my anxiety levels were hitting a 10+ this morning so I found that it just helped to lower them. I was at about a 5 when I got in the chair and that had come down to a 0 by the end of the treatment. I think I felt more apprehensive than anxious when I arrived, which was managable with some deep breathing and a very nice dental nurse who held my hand the whole time!

The part I was dreading the most the injection I didnt even feel can you believe!! A little bit of numbing gel and I can seriously say I hardly felt a thing.

As for the extraction I can't say it was a pleasent experience lots of pushing on my jaw which I didnt particulary enjoy... however it didnt hurt and was far easier than I had built it up in my mind to be. Both teeth were out in a matter of minutes. When she annouced it was over I couldn't believe it. Then the dentist let me relax in the chair for 10 minutes with my ipod on while the gauzes soaked up the mess and I felt quite peaceful just lying there basking in the glory that it was all over.

I have to go back for two fillings and I'm not in the slightest bit worried the worst part is over :jump::jump:

I had some ibuprofen earlier and I am not experiencing any pain other than a little soreness in my jaw (another worry of mine was how I would feel post extraction)

So for anyone out there who is going through what I was going through I urge you to take that plunge, find the right dentist and do whatever it takes to get you through it sedation, nitrous, hypnosis, whatever floats your boat. It is possible to get through to the other side and it really isn't as bad as you think it will be.

just realized I posted this in wrong place :oops: it should be in success stories, if a lovely moderator could please move it, thanks

Done - and congratulations :jump::jump:! You must be on cloud :cloud9:!

Back