• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth root left in after extraction? Will it be ok?

E

eakornienko

Hi all.

Just got back from a wisdom tooth extraction for a soft tissue impaction. The tooth was the lower right wisdom tooth. It was fairly erupted, with only a little bit of the crown under the gum. Going in, my dentist though it would be straight forward. It became anything but. Turns out the tooth has a third root that was hidden from the x-rays, which was very close to the bone and hooked, so the tooth could not be simply pulled out. So, long story short, the process became very involved, the tooth has to be cut into pieces and extracted one by one, a small bit of bone was drilled etc etc. After it was finally over, my dentist informed me she has left a small piece of the root and tip inside (she never touched it or moved it, just broke the tooth over it). She said this is because it was sitting on/was interacting with the inferior alveolar nerve, and that trying to take it out was risky, with a good chance that the nerve could be damaged. She even drew me a diagram showing that the bone and gum would heal around/over it, and might push it out of the socket as well.

So my question is: Is it alright to leave the root in? I've read that leftover roots can become infected and cause many issues. I trust her immensely, she is an excellent dentist, and was great in my other two extractions and treating the one dry socket I got so well I only needed it packed once. Should I trust in her judgement? And if there is an issue, will it be very hard to take it out? Should I not worry about it for now? The socket and incisions have been stitched over already.

Thanks for answering!

Its very hard to say I just had the tooth extracted and mine was a squiggle at the end and broke off too and my dentist made SURE to spend the time to get the root, his words to save me pain later ... now mine also didnt say anything about a nerve and mine that broke wasn't a wisdom it was the 2nd molar from the wisdom on the right. I would think if this dentist is a long practiced dentist your probably safe.

I had my wisdom teeth extracted more than 7yrs ago and the roots (all of them) for one of the teeth were left in for a similar reason. I was told by the oral surgeon (who was awful) and also by my dentist (who I completely trust) that it should cause me any issue. I've had no issues all these years later. So I think it really depends on each situation. If you trust your dentist, I would trust her about this. Best of luck to you!

Back